By NEMS Daily Journal
- Jazzercise is offered at 9 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, at 5:45 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and 3 p.m. Sunday at the Tupelo Furniture Market Mississippi Building on Coley Road in Tupelo. Call Sherry Reppert at (662) 205-4585 or (662) 255-2696.
- Swimming and water activities are available under the bubble at the Rob Leake City Pool. For more information, call 841-6440.
- Low-impact water aerobics at 6:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost is $10 a month.
- Senior aquatics at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost is $10 a month. Call 841-6440.
- Lap Swim Training at 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Cost is $35 a month.
- Shockwave Aquatic Team meets Monday through Friday. Call 841-6440.
- Walking Challenge. To start or join a walking group, call Lisa at 841-6440.
- Water POWER, a water fitness class for obese individuals, is offered at North Mississippi Medical Center Wellness Center in Tupelo at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 11:30 a.m. Fridays. The class is geared to people who are at least 100 pounds overweight with a body mass index of 40 or greater. Free to Wellness Center members; $100 a quarter for others. Free trial class. Call (800) 843-3375.
- Hoop-elo, a hooping class, meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays at Fairpark in downtown Tupelo or at Link Centre in case of rain. Open to all ages and abilities. Class meets outdoors in good weather. Call Rebecca at 690-4011 for more information.
- T’ai Chi Chih is offered at 5:30 p.m. Mondays at Fairpark in downtown Tupelo. Free. Instructors are Ron Richardson and Stephen Thompson. Call Stephen at (662) 231-5519.
- Beginner dance lessons are offered at 7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Dance Studio on Spring Street in Tupelo. Free. Call (662) 842-2242.
- Zumba classes are offered at 6 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays and 11 a.m. Saturdays at the Dance Studio on Spring Street in Tupelo. Zumba Gold class for people over 50 offered 5:15 Thursdays. All classes $5. Call (662) 842-2242 or visit www.thedancestudiotupelo.com.
- Kids’ Fitness with Rob Barnes is offered 10:30 a.m. to noon Saturdays through May 22 at Fairpark in downtown Tupelo. Free. Parents encouraged to stay and participate. Call Evie at (662) 841-6504.
- T’ai Chi Chih workshop will be April 16-18 at the NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Instructor will be Carmen L. Brocklehurst of Albuquerque, N.M., who is an internationally recognized instructor. T’ai Chi Chih is made up of 20 gentle movements and is often called a moving meditation. Sessions will run 1 to 5 p.m. April 16, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 17 and 9 a.m. to noon April 18. Cost is $75 and includes dinner on April 16 and lunch on April 17. Contact Ron Richardson at (662) 844-6473 or email@example.com.
- Make It a Habit Club will be 10 to 11 a.m. April 24 at HealthWorks! Children’s Health Education Center in Tupelo. Each month, there will be topic time, snack talk and fitness fun. Open to families with children kindergarten and up. Parents can participate or hang out on the Funtastic Floor. In April, the theme will be Don’t Be Fooled By Labels. Cost is $4 per person admission to center; members free. Call (662) 377-5437.
- Assistance with mammograms for the uninsured is available through the Sisters Network, Tupelo Chapter of the African-American breast cancer survivor’s support group. The group also has free educational brochures about breast cancer for women and men and temporary prostheses for post-surgery patients. For more information, contact Norma Derring (662) 842-3440 or e-mail sistersn@ yahoo.com.
- NMMC Mobile Mammography Unit will travel to the following locations in April. The cost of a screening mammogram is $138 and is available by appointment. Resources are available for those without adequate health insurance coverage. Call 377-4158 or (800) 843-3375.
• April 12-13: NMMC-Iuka
• April 14-16: NMMC-Pontotoc
• April 19-20: NMMC-Hamilton, Ala.
• April 21-23: NMMC-Iuka
• April 28-30: NMMC-Pontotoc
- Free stroke screenings will be available in the lobby of North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo from 9 to 11 a.m., 1 to 3 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. April 13. Call (800) 843-337 for more information.
- Breastfeeding Support Group is offered at 11 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month at the Baptist HealthPlex in Oxford and at 6 p.m. the third Tuesday at Oxford University Methodist Church, Room 110. Sponsored by La Leche League. Call 232-8113.
- Free car seat inspections will be offered by certified safety specialists at Oktibbeha County Hospital in Starkville. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 615-3364.
- Infant CPR classes are offered at 4 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. Call 377-4934 or (800) 843-3375.
- Parenting classes will be offered at 7 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday at the Family Resource Center of Northeast Mississippi on Magazine Street in Tupelo. Classes in Spanish offered at 6 p.m. Thursdays. Free. Childcare provided. Marriage education, fathers-only parenting and parenting during divorce classes also available. Call 844-0013.
- Parenting classes are offered from 6 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday at Cedar Grove United Pentecostal Church on North Veterans Boulevard in Tupelo. Call 844-9637.
- Parents as Teachers program provides in-home parenting education to expecting parents and parents of children up to the age of 3. Focuses on helping parents learn age-appropriate development skills to help their children grow. Free to all. Call 844-0013.
- Health Help for Kids offers free assistance for parents with Medicaid and CHIPS. Trained counselors at Mississippi Health Advocacy Partnership offer help and guidance in determining eligibility and other issues. Call (877) 314-3843.
Starting April 12 and 13
- Preparation for Birth, a six-week course recommended at the beginning of the seventh month of pregnancy, will be offered on Mondays beginning April 12 and Tuesdays beginning April 13 at NMMC Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. All classes begin at 6:30 p.m. The classes are part of the Wonderful Beginnings Program, which costs $60 to join. Call 377-4956 or (800) 843-3375.
Starting April 14
- Early Pregnancy Class, a three week course, will be offered on Wednesdays beginning April 14 at 6:30 p.m. at NMMC Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. The classes are part of the Wonderful Beginnings Program, which costs $60 to join. Call 377-4956 or (800) 843-3375.
- Breastfeeding class will be from 6 to 9 p.m. April 15 at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. Class is free for members of Wonderful Beginnings. Call 377-4956 or (800) 843-3375.
- Sibling Class to prepare children ages 3 through 9 for the arrival of a new baby will be from 10 to 11 a.m. April 17 at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. Call 377-4956 or (800) 843-3375.
- Grandparenting class to discuss the unique role of grandparents of a newborn will be 1 to 3 p.m. April 17 at the North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. Call 377-4956 or (800) 843-3375.
- Abstinence Education Program is offered regularly through the Family Resource Center in Tupelo for teens. Focuses on self-respect, conflict resolution and personal development to help avoid teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. Free. Call 844-0013.
- Anger Management classes for teens and adults are offered at 6 p.m. for adults and 7 p.m. for teens on Mondays and Thursdays at the Family Resource Center of Northeast Mississippi on Magazine Street in Tupelo. Free. Childcare provided. Call 844-0013.
- Free Diabetes Management classes are offered monthly at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County. Physician referral and registration required. Times vary. Call Mary Foley at (662) 538-2199.
- Smoking cessation classes are offered at 5 p.m Mondays and 11 a.m. Tuesdays at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Call Merilyn Charlton at 513-1506. Registration required.
- Tobacco cessation assistance is available through North Mississippi Medical Center community health. The tobacco treatment clinic is part of of the statewide ACT Center for tobacco Treatment, Education and Research. Call (662) 377-5787 or visit www.act2quit.org.
Bariatric Educational Seminar will be 6 to 8 p.m. April 15 at NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Speaker will be Dr. Terry Pinson. Interested individuals may bring one guest. Attendance at a seminar is mandatory prior to initial consultation at the NMMC Bariatric Clinic. Call (662) 377-7546 or (866) 908-9465.
A Woman’s Place Lunchtime Learning will be at noon April 20 at First Baptist Church fellowship hall in Tupelo. Topic is “The Little Engine Could, and So Can You” with speaker Janie Walters. Lunch costs $5; preregistration is required by April 14. Call (662) 377-4099.
- Walk MS benefiting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society will be April 10 at Veterans Park in Tupelo. Contact Angie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (601) 856-5831.
- 100th Day celebration at HealthWorks! Children’s Education Center will be 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. April 10. Cost is $4; free to members. Call (662) 377-5437 or visit www.healthworkskids.org.
- Sanctuary Hospice House Service of Remembrance will be at 2:30 p.m. April 11 at The Orchard on Coley Road. The annual event honors those who have passed at Sanctuary and their families. The service is open to the community as well as Sanctuary families. Call (662) 844-2111.
- Great Strides Walk benefiting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation will be 1:30 p.m. April 18 at Lamar Park in Oxford. Contact Mississippi Chapter at (601) 981-3100.
- Camp Bluebird, a camp for adult cancer survivors, will be April 23-25 at Tombigbee State Park. Cost is $40; scholarships available. Call (662) 377-4049 or visit www.nmhs.net/campbluebird. Fall camp is set for Sept. 24-25.
- Sickle Cell Walk-a-Thon will begin at 8 a.m. April 24 at Veterans Park in Tupelo. Hosted by the Order of the Eastern Star of Mississippi, 16th district. Entry fee is $15. Donation accepted. Call (662) 231-0047 or (662) 348-2630.
- Swing on Spring street dance will be 7 to 10 p.m. April 24. Part of the Fitness in Tupelo activities.
April 25 and May 1
- Walk for Babies benefiting the March of Dimes will be at 2 p.m. April 25 in the Grove on the University of Mississippi campus in Oxford and 10 a.m. May 1 at Veterans Park in Tupelo. Call (662) 844-6901 for more information.