By NEMS Daily Journal
These support groups are set to meet in the next two weeks:
ACTS – Alcohol Chemical Treatment Series – is a curriculum-based self-help, recovery and educational program for anyone wanting to recover from alcohol or drugs, and their families. ACTS meets from 6 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday at Cedar Grove United Pentecostal Church on North Veterans Boulevard, Tupelo. ACTS is free. Call (662) 844-9637.
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women working to solve their common problem of alcoholism. There are no dues or fees.
• Tupelo: 31 meetings are offered. Call (662) 844-0374 or visit visit www.aa-mississippi.org for listings.
• There are also meetings in Aberdeen, Ackerman, Amory, Belmont, Booneville, Bruce, Calhoun City, Corinth, Fulton, Holly Springs, Houlka, Houston, Iuka, New Albany, Oxford, Pontotoc, Starkville and West Point. Call (800) 344-2666.
For a listing of addiction support groups around Northeast Mississippi, call National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependency at (662) 841-0403 or check www.msncadd.net.
Addiction help – Narconon, an international organization of treatment centers, drug education and prevention services, provides free consultations from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week for those with drug addictions. Call (800) 556-8885.
Al-Anon is a fellowship of friends and relatives of alcoholics. The group has meetings at several locations:
• American Legion Building, Fairground Circle, New Albany, 8 p.m. Mondays.
• Cornerstone Methodist Church, Tupelo, 5:30 p.m. Mondays. Call (662) 871-687-1811 or (662) 871-8068.
• First Presbyterian Church, Tupelo 8 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Easy Does it Group, noon Thursdays at Brooks Center at Fulton Methodist Church. Call Bob W. (662) 401-8094.
• Peace Seekers Family Group, noon Wednesday and Friday at Calvary Baptist Church, Tupelo. Call (662) 401-8094 or (847) 902-6267.
• Saltillo Family group, 10:30 a.m. Saturdays, 385 Mobile St., Saltillo, (662) 871-7646.
• Solution Seekers – Adult Children of Alcoholics meets at noon Mondays at Calvary Baptist Church fellowship hall, Tupelo. Call Nancy P. at (847) 902-6267.
Groups also meet in Belmont, Corinth and Oxford.
Alzheimer’s support groups for family members and friends of those with the disease meet in:
• West Point: Quarterly at NMMC-West Point. Call Brenda Johnson at (662) 495-2339 or (800) 843-3375.
• Tupelo: 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Cedars Health Center Activity Room. Call Terri at (662) 844-1441.
Arthritis Support Group meets at 9:15 a.m. the second Monday of the month at Oktibbeha County Hospital Wellness Connection, in Starkville. Call (662) 323-9355.
The Autism Support Group meets 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at All Saints Episcopal Church in Tupelo. Childcare provided. Call Melissa Caldwell at (662) 832-2039 or Cheryl Bailey at (662) 315-3388.
Bariatric Support Group meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month in the Magnolia Auditorium at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, Oxford. Call Becky Wilson at 513-9671.
Cancer Survivor 101 Support Group for newly diagnosed patients actively undergoing treatment meets at 2 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Cancer Center in Tupelo. Call Cindy Edwards at 377-4049 or (800) 843-3375.
Celebrate Recovery is a Bible-based group open to those struggling with addiction, anger issues, grief, guilt, shame, financial loss, abuse, eating disorders or compulsive behaviors. Groups meet at:
• 7 p.m. Fridays in the youth building at West Jackson Street Baptist Church, Tupelo. Contact Neil Naron at (662) 891-1773 or Susan Naron at 871-3872.
• 6 p.m. Saturdays at NorthStar Church, 112 Bauhaus, Saltillo. Call (662) 869-7778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Disability Support Group meets at 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at LIFE office, Cliff Gookin Boulevard, Tupelo. People with all types of physical and mental disabilities are welcome. Call Wayne Lauderdale or Emily Word at (662) 844-6633.
The Compassionate Friends-West Point, a support group for families who have suffered the death of a child of any age, meets at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at NMMC-West Point. Call Michele Rowe at (662) 495-2337. Parents, step-parents, grandparents and siblings are invited to attend. Information is at www.compassionatefriends.org.
Crossroads Multiple Sclerosis Support Group meets at 11:30 a.m. the third Wednesday of the month at the MSU Extension Office behind Crossroads Arena in Corinth. Sponsored by the MS Foundation. Contact Joy Forsyth 462-7325 or email@example.com.
Diabetes Support Group-Oxford meets at noon the second Thursday of the month in the Magnolia Auditorium at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Lunch available for $3. Call (662) 232-8113.
Diabetes Support Group-Tupelo meets at 11 a.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Sponsored by the NMMC Diabetes Treatment Center. Call (662) 377-2500 or (800) 843-3375.
A Domestic Violence Support Group meets at 6 p.m. every Thursday in Tupelo. Call (800) 527-7233 for location. Child care is provided.
FACE IT food allergy support group meets the first Friday and third Monday of the month. Focused on parents of children with food allergies, but open to others with medical conditions that require food avoidance. Contact Amelia at (662) 322-7434 or firstname.lastname@example.org for locations and times.
Grief Support Group-New Albany sponsored by Gentiva Hospice meets at 1 p.m. the second Wednesday of the month at the New Albany First United Methodist Church in New Albany. Call Danny Rushing at Gentiva Hospice at (662) 620-1050.
Grief Support Groups-Oxford meets at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday and the fourth Wednesday of the month at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. Sponsored by Gentiva Hospice of Oxford. Call Tracy Morgan at (662) 234-0140.
Grief Support Group-Tupelo sponsored by Gentiva Hospice meets at 6 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of the month at Spanish Village, Suite 105. Free and open to anyone in need. Call Danny Rushing at (662) 620-1050.
I Can Cope cancer support group meets at noon the second Friday of the month at Bridgepoint on South Gloster Street. Guest speakers. Lunch provided for cancer survivors and caregivers. Sponsored by the American Cancer Society. Call coordinator Donna Kingsley at (662) 213-8478.
Man-to-Man support group for prostate cancer meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at NMMC East Tower first floor Diabetes Treatment Center classroom. Contact Gail Denton at (662) 377-3522 or (800) 843-3375.
Mended Hearts-Oxford, a support group for people who have had heart-bypass surgery, heart disease or other physical ailments of the heart, meets at noon the second Wednesday of the month at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Call Riley McMinn at (662) 232-8166.
Mended Hearts-Corinth, a support group for people who have had heart-bypass surgery, heart disease or other physical ailments of the heart, meets at 10 a.m. the second Monday of the month, September through May, at Cardiac Rehab Conference Room at Magnolia Community Service Center Complex in Corinth. Contact Richard Wood at (662) 286-9476 or Barbara Williams at (662) 293-1086.
Mental Health Family support group will meet at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Saturday of the month at North Mississippi RC on Highway 7 in Oxford. The group is designed for family members of people with serious mental illness. Call (800) 357-0388 or visit www.nami.org.
Mississippi Council of the Blind of North Mississippi meets at 10 a.m. the first Saturday of each month. The organization is open to the blind or visually impaired, and sighted people. Call Terry Shelton at (662) 871-8310.
Multiple Sclerosis Support Group-Tupelo meets at 6:30 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Contact Allison Holloway at (662) 231-5829, Karan Woods at (662) 231-9160 or (800) 843-3375.
NAMI Connection, a weekly recovery group for people living with mental illness, meets Sundays at 3:30 p.m. at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Call (800) 357-0388 or visit www.nami.org.
Narcotics Anonymous, a community-based association of recovering drug addicts, meets in Lee County.
• Tupelo group meets at the Salvation Army on Carnation Street at 6 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sundays.
• Mooreville group meets at 4:30 p.m. Sunday and 6 p.m. Wednesday at Living Waters Community Church on County Road 1554.
• Groups also meet in Ackerman, Amory, Booneville, Bruce, Corinth, New Albany, Oxford, Pontotoc, Ripley and Starkville.
Call (662) 841-9998 or toll-free (866) 841-9998 for more information.
New Moms Support Group meets at 10:30 a.m. Fridays at the Breast Feeding Resource Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Open to all new moms. Call (662) 513-1602.
Northeast Mississippi Down Syndrome Society offers support and information resources for families of children with Down Syndrome. The group hosts the Buddy Walk in October. Call (662) 871-2387 or (662) 869-3211, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.nemdss.org.
The North MS Pediatric Cancer Support Group (PECANS) meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at the food court of the Mall of Barnes Crossing in Tupelo. Call Teresa Farris at (662) 791-1228.
Oxford Reach to Recovery Breast Cancer Support Group meets at 6 p.m. the first Monday of February, April, June, August, November and December at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. In October, they participate in a reception for breast cancer survivors hosted by Baptist Memorial at the Cancer and Diagnostic Center. Sponsored by the American Cancer Society. Call Mary Chrestman at (662) 234-7507.
Parkinson’s Disease Support Group-Tupelo meets at 3 p.m. the first Sunday of the month at NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Contact Ginger Gore or Amanda Allen at (662) 377-3729.
Second Chance Transplant Awareness Group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the third Thursday of the month, except for June, at McAlister’s Deli, Tupelo. Call Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency, Tupelo office (662) 841-1960.
Sexual Addiction Support Group meets in Tupelo. Call (662) 841-0403.
Sexual Assault Support Group meets at 11 a.m. every Wednesday. Call (800) 527-7233 for location.
Stroke support groups meet in:
• Tupelo at 5 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month in NMMC East Tower Room 21. Call Stacy Scruggs at (662) 377-4058.
• Starkville at 10 a.m. to noon Sept. 19 in the OCH Regional education room. For more info, call the speech language pathology department at (662) 615-3020.
T.A.A.P. (Teen Addiction Awareness Program) is a free 10-week program offered by the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence building, 200 N. Spring St., Tupelo. The program, which meets for 90 minutes once a week, is open to teens age 13-18. There will be educational sessions on every aspect of drug and alcohol use and abuse. Call NCADD at (662) 841-0403 or www.ncadd.net.
TOPS, a weight loss support group, has three chapters meeting in Northeast Mississippi. Fees are $24 for annual membership; $12 for spouses and teens. Call (800) 932-8677 or www.tops.org.
• Tupelo: 5 p.m. Thursdays at Salvation Army Building at 527 Carnation St. Call Janice Roach at (662) 871-8653.
• Aberdeen: 5 p.m. Tuesdays at Southside Baptist Church on Meridian Street. Call Janet Luker, (662) 369-6836 or (662) 369-1878, Grace Guin, (662) 369-4431 or Pat Harris, (662) 327-7152.
Women with Cancer support group meets at 6 p.m. the third Monday of each month at the Women First Resource Center, 215 N. Gloster, Suite D, in Tupelo. Call (662) 842-5725.
Women with Cancer support group, sponsored by the Women First Resource Center, is available in Amory. Call (662) 325-0721.