Hamilton bank branch closing
The BancorpSouth branch in Hamilton closed its doors Friday after 36 years of operation, a casualty of difficult economic times. Customers will now be served by Aberdeen Main, which is nine miles away. As well, a major new branch for the bank is currently being constructed in Columbus.
Although a sad occasion, the mood among employees was light-hearted on Thursday, the day before the closure.
Customers brought along such things as homemade cookies and flowers, as a way to say goodbye and express their appreciation for the staff that has served them for so many years.
Manager Shirley Huffman noted that the branch’s employees would all be transferred to other branches, such as Aberbeen Main and Columbus, and that no one had lost their job.
“Bancorp has taken care of their employees,” she said. “We care about our customers. We appreciate them and we look forward to continuing our relationship with them in Aberdeen – some of our customers are saying they’ll be going to Aberdeen just to see us.”
Lisa Gilliand, owner of Hamilton’s The Grass Shop, stopped by to deliver roses for the staff. “I hate that it’s closing,” she said, noting that before she opened her shop, she had worked at the bank for ten years.
Huffman said some of the branch’s conference chairs were being donated to the community center and that a copier was being donated to the school.
“Bancorp South still supports the community,” she said
- Lady Lions jump out to undefeated start
- Hamilton halts Nettleton comeback, improves to 7-1
- Amory hosts Christmas Open House this weekend
- Lil’ Blessings Child Care and Learning Center a gift from above for owner
- Riley’s serves homecooked meals, homegrown stories
- Aberdeen hosts Christmas Open House Sunday
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...