Aberdeen man loses life in house fire

ABERDEEN – An Aberdeen man died Friday, Dec. 14, from what appears to be smoke inhalation following a house fire at an address on Century Drive, according to a statement from Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley.

Edward ‘Lashawn’Walker, 36, was found in a bathroom after firefighters entered the home Friday night. Monroe County 911 received a call at 10:20 p.m. reporting smoke coming from the home at 103 Century Dr. The Aberdeen Fire Department, Aberdeen Police Department and MedStat responded to the fire.

Medics’ attempts to revive Walker were unsuccessful after firefighters moved him to the front yard. According to family, Walker was staying at the home with a friend who was not at home at the time of the fire. Gurley was unsure of what time the fire actually started before it was reported.

The State Fire Marshall’s investigated the fire throughout the night with the APD and AFD. An autopsy will be performed to confirm if smoke inhalation was the actual cause of death and that no foul play was involved.

About Ray Van Dusen

I've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at ray.vandusen@journalinc.com.