Freed receives her certification as a holistic health coach
AMORY – Penny Leech-Freed, a local real estate salesperson, personal yoga instructor and owner of Alive & Well Yoga Studio, is finishing work on a one-year program in which she will become a certified holistic health coach.
“I enrolled in a one-year program at the Institute for Integrated Nutrition at State University of New York. I just want to help people eat healthy,” Leech-Freed said.
The vegan, whose family also eats plant-based foods, held her first seminar based on sugar addiction at Alive & Well Yoga Studio on Nov. 20. She passed out literature about beating the sugar blues and included two recipes.
She emphasized if a food is advertised on television to not eat it.
“This method will not only change your weight, but it is a lifestyle change. Food choices are based on emotional not physiological needs. This is especially true of sugar addicts,” she said.
Leech-Freed said several diseases stem from inflammation caused by refined sugar.
She will counsel one-on-one and support the person as they learn. She will also go to the grocery store with them and help with an exercise plan.
Leech-Freed plans to have another free seminar in December at her studio.
“I am a health coach, but I’m not going to make people eat like I do,” said Leech-Freed.
In January, she plans to have a health food-based detox seminar.
To sign up for a seminar, contact Leech-Freed at 640-1088.
<b>2 cups leftover, cooked rice, preferably
1-2 cups coconut water•, rice milk, or
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
12 tsp. ground cardamom
</b><b>1</b><b>⁄</b><b>2</b><b> cup raisins
</b><b>1</b><b>⁄</b><b>2</b><b> cup shredded coconut
2 Tsp. raw honey or maple syrup</b>
Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until raisins are plump, coconut is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Taste and add more sweetener if necessary.
• Coconut water is simple the liquid inside a coconut. It can be purchased in the refrigerated drinks section of the health food store. Also, fresh young coconuts can often be found in the health food or Asian food stores.
Prep. Time – 5 minutes; Cooking Time – 25 minutes: Yields – 6 servings.
Banana Ice Cream
Take 2-8 ripe bananas, peeled, cut into chunks, and frozen overnight (6-8 hours). Remove bananas from freezer and thaw 5-10 minutes. Put bananas in a food processor and puree until you achieve ice cream consistency. That’s it! Serve immediately.
<b>Options</b>: Mix in or use for toppings: cacao chocolate sauce, crunchy cacao nibs or chips/carob chips, 11⁄2 Tsp. fresh almond butter, 1⁄2 cup roasted walnuts (heat in pan for about 5-10 minutes, watch so they don’t burn, sprinkle cinnamon, drizzle maple syrup, drizzle vanilla extract, frozen or fresh blueberries/strawberries/raspberries/blackberries/cherries, fresh goji berries.
<b>Cacao Chocolate Sauce: </b>4 heaping tablespoons cacao powder. 3 tablespoons agave nectar, and 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Mix ingredients together until it forms your desired chocolate sauce.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...