Bomb threat called in to Monroe County courthouse
ABERDEEN – According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, the Monroe County Courthouse has been evacuated following a bomb threat. The bomb squad has been called to inspect the building.
“An employee of the courthouse received a phone call that was not a recording from a man with a muffled voice saying several bombs were inside the building and they were set to explode. After I was informed, I immediately called the sheriff’s department and they were on the scene in a matter of minutes,” said Circuit Clerk Judy Butler.
Butler said the courthouse was closed until 1 p.m.
According to The Clarion Ledger, several courthouses throughout Mississippi have received bomb threats today, including the Mississippi Supreme Court.
Update: 11:04 a.m. According to reports, the Monroe County Courthouse has been cleared and no explosives were found.
- Woman charged with embezzlement from Hamilton business
- Aberdeen man charged with possession of cocaine
- Sheriff’s department launches Watch Program
- U.S. House, Senate among seats up for grabs in 2014 elections
- Shannon man charged with failure to register as a sex offender
- MCSO warns residents of phone scam
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
- Aberdeen aldermen approve resolution in conjunction with Pioneer bankruptcy case March 16, 2017
- Monroe County Board of Education approves campus renovations March 20, 2017
- Amory School Board eyes accountability and accreditation March 20, 2017
- Nettleton School District kicks off energy revitalization initiative March 20, 2017
- Baucom keeps striving for her spot on ‘The Voice’ March 20, 2017
- Two arrested on possession charges March 22, 2017
- Tigers pounce to top defending 2A champs March 22, 2017
- Panthers’ late rally against defending 3A champs falls short March 22, 2017
- Modern day disconnect: Rural areas dialed in to lack of high-speed Internet options March 22, 2017
- Jernigan named as new Nettleton School District superintendent March 22, 2017
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...
- jwc1480: $50,000. Sounds 'bout right for gov'ment work....
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...