Amory school board accepts AMS principal’s resignation
AMORY – The Amory School Board accepted the resignation of Amory Middle School principal Cheryl Moore during it’s regular-called meeting on Dec. 10.
Moore, who has been employed with Amory City Schools for the past 31-and-a-half years, will be replaced by Ken Byars.
Byars has spent the last two years as head football coach at Pontotoc High School. His previous coaching experience includes Hatley High School (1999), West Bolivar High School (2000), Okolona High School (2001), Moss Point High (2002), Mendenhall High School (2003-2006), and back to Okolona in 2007. The AMS principal position will be his first administrative position.
In other personnel business, Amory Middle School social studies teacher, Dave Allen, will be released from his contract effective Dec. 31, to accept a position with the Monroe County Learning Center. Allen, who currently teaches seventh and eighth grades, will be replaced by Kayla Hathcock.
In his district update, Superintendent Tony Cook discussed future plans for the district.
“We have applied for a grant through the National Center on Education. The program, Excellence For All, combined with Common Core will change education,” Cook said.
According to the NCEE, the purpose of the Excellence For All program is to increase the proportion of high need high school students who leave high school ready to do college-level work and reduce the proportion of students who enter college and never get beyond a few remedial courses before dropping out. The program is in alignment with Common Core State Standards.
- School board votes on long-term substitute teacher pay cut
- New AMS principal gets ball rolling with new career challenge
- Amory High School holds National Honor Society induction
- Laney named Teacher of the Year
- Amory School District administrators report fewer infractions
- Collections up for Amory School District
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Aberdeen aldermen approve resolution in conjunction with Pioneer bankruptcy case March 16, 2017
- Monroe County Board of Education approves campus renovations March 20, 2017
- Amory School Board eyes accountability and accreditation March 20, 2017
- Nettleton School District kicks off energy revitalization initiative March 20, 2017
- Baucom keeps striving for her spot on ‘The Voice’ March 20, 2017
- Two arrested on possession charges March 22, 2017
- Tigers pounce to top defending 2A champs March 22, 2017
- Panthers’ late rally against defending 3A champs falls short March 22, 2017
- Modern day disconnect: Rural areas dialed in to lack of high-speed Internet options March 22, 2017
- Jernigan named as new Nettleton School District superintendent March 22, 2017
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...
- jwc1480: $50,000. Sounds 'bout right for gov'ment work....
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...