Booth directs another winning performance with TCT
WREN – Tom Booth, executive director of Tupelo Community Theatre, has again directed a winning performance at the 2013 Mississippi Theatre Association Festival.
“The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” won nine awards: All Star Cast – John Carroll, Leaf Coneybear; Special Recognition Award – Best Performance by an Audience Member, Lyle Tate; Best Scenic Design; Overall Technical Excellence; Best Ensemble; Best Supporting Actor – Mark Maharrey, William Barfee; Best Supporting Actress – Danielle Frerer, Olive Ostrovsky; Best Director – Tom Booth; Warren McDaniel Award for Best Production – “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”
Booth started at Tupelo Community Theatre in 1992 as an actor, and became executive director in June 2002. At his side is Hatley native Tracie Maxey Conwill, Booth’s assistant director for the show. She has worked as Booth’s assistant director for his past 10 shows.
“I directed my first show here in 1996. We took our first show to Mississippi Theatre Association in 1999, and won for the first time in 2001,” Booth said.
Tupelo Community Theatre will present the Tony Award-winning musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, music and lyrics by William Finn, book by Rachel Sheinkin and conceived Rebecca Feldman, on Jan, 31, Feb. 1, and Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m. There will also be a performance on Saturday, Feb. 2, at 2 p.m. All performances are at the Lyric Theatre.
The play, directed by Booth, is about six young people in the throes of puberty who learn that winning isn’t everything and losing doesn’t necessarily make you a loser.
Tickets are $22 for adults and $10 for students and younger. The show is PG-13. For more information, contact the TCT office at 844-1935, or visit www.tct.ms.
Tupelo Community Theatre will represent Mississippi at the Southeastern Theatre Conference in Louisville, Ky., March 6-10. This is the second year in a row and the fifth time since 2001 they have participated in the SETC.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Novelist with FBI background featured guest for July booklunch July 19, 2016
- Inaugural Aberdeen Bulldog Festival planned for Saturday July 22, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen take port director request under advisement July 22, 2016
- MCSO arrests man on parole violation July 22, 2016
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Earning records mistakes can be a big deal July 23, 2016
- Group makes melodies and more in Frisco Park July 26, 2016
- Amory Regional Museum speaker discusses Negro League baseball July 26, 2016
- ICC now accepting nominations for Alumnus of the Year, Athletic Hall of Fame July 25, 2016
- MCSO arrests Hamilton man on possession charges July 25, 2016
- Justice for Animals movement encourages push for stricter laws July 25, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....