Two late scores from Florence end Panthers’ season
By Gene Phelps
FLORENCE – Amory’s goal in the 59th minute was a wake-up call … for the wrong team.
Florence, down 1-0, responded with two late goals on its way to a 2-1 victory against the Panthers in the MHSAA Class 4A boys state soccer quarterfinals.
“(Florence) came alive once we scored,” Amory coach Nathan Clayton said. “Our guys gave it everything they had.”
The Eagles (9-10-4) will host Pontotoc in the state semifinals on Tuesday. The Florence girls are also set to host a semifinal that day.
Garrett Trautman, on an assist from Joseph Summers, gave the Panthers (12-8-1) their 1-0 lead with his goal in heavy traffic.
“It was a set piece,” Clayton said of the scoring play. “(Trautman) has had several like that this year.”
Florence answered in the 60th minute on a blast to the right corner of the net by Dalton Smith.
The Eagles’ took the lead 2-1 in the 72nd minute on a goal by Tripp Sheppard, who nailed a shot – off a deflection – just past the reach of diving Amory keeper Ross Trautman.
“It’s all instinct on a play like that,” Trautman said. “Deflections have gotten us all year. There’s nothing more we could have done.”
Florence, behind its aggressive offensive attack, took nine shots on goal in the first half. The last one, a crossing rocket by midfielder Jamie Hicks, just missed in the final seconds.
Amory had three shots on Florence keeper Austin Firth in the first half.
“We knew it was going to be tough,” Clayton said. “We knew Florence was going to put pressure on us early.”
Florence defeated the Panthers in the first round last season and beat them in the state title game in 2011.
“We made it a game this year,” Trautman said. “We knew they were quick and physical. We were ready.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Melissa Meador
- Riverview Garden Club hosts annual Pilgrimage luncheon April 16, 2017
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office hosting drug take back program April 19, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...