Tupelo rolls against Nettleton in tuneup game
NETTLETON – With a division-clinching game on the horizon, Tupelo coach Matt Justice saw what he needed out of his Lady Golden Wave in a 72-34 win over county rival Nettleton.
Tupelo (15-8) will play Grenada on Tuesday and will clinch Division 2-6A with a win.
“We played at our tempo tonight and ran the floor well,” Justice said. “We got off to a good defensive start and had to set the tone early. That’s what we wanted to do coming in because playing on the road is always hard.”
The Lady Wave held Nettleton (7-10) scoreless for the first 3:30 of the game before Meredith Lee sank a free throw to put the Lady Tigers on the board.
Nettleton closed out the third with a 6-0 run, including a basket right before the buzzer from Coco Whitfield. Tupelo responded with a 5-0 run of its own, and Jaleigh Polk’s 3 gave the Lady Wave a double-figure lead at 21-10. A two-point shot to end the half from Braxton Thomas gave Tupelo a 31-17 halftime lead.
Jayla Jones opened the third with a bucket, but Tupelo responded in the third with a 21-8 run.
“We had a tough time setting up and running our offense tonight,” Nettleton coach Shelley Parman said. “We’ve got to work on getting our offense back under control. We had a tough time scoring in the second half.”
Thomas led all scorers with 18 points, while Jayla Jones led Nettleton with 9 points.
The Lady Tigers, who have started out 1-1 in division play, have key Division 2-3A matchups this week with Mantachie and Water Valley.
(B) Tupelo 75, Nettleton 47
Isaiah Traylor led Tupelo with 12 points, while Brice Ford scored 11. Chris Long led all scorers with 14 points, while Dre Sharp (13) and Demetrius Thomas (11) were also in double figures.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Melissa Meador
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...