Supervisors look for clearer picture on county payroll
ABERDEEN – Aside from approving items, the board of supervisors launched into two discussions regarding better tracking expenses during Monday’s meeting.
The first began when District 1 supervisor Doug Wiggins asked if the supervisors could have more definition of payrolls throughout the fiscal year.
“I’m not saying we need to look at this every single payroll, but we do need to keep a closer look at these so payroll doesn’t go over budget. If somebody has slipped in a raise from $12 to $15 an hour and we approve it with the payroll, we can’t undo it,” Wiggins said.
County administrator Mike King is working on a monitor for the payroll of all county employees using previous payroll amounts as a baseline.
“We don’t want to micromanage the department heads, but we still want to know more specifics on payroll,” said board president Billy Kirkpatrick.
District 5 supervisor Robert Tomey also brought it to the board’s attention of a 20 percent increase in the insurance count for county vehicles.
“In 2008, we insured 188 vehicles and we’re up to 226 now. It’s trending up and we need to get a grasp on it before it gets out of hand,” Tomey said.
In other business, the board approved:
* An order approving and filing reports of county depositories.
* The high bid of $106,004 from from Deanco Auction Company for the sale of four Caterpillar backhoe loaders.
* An order receiving and filing of daily log of meals served to prisoners at the Monroe County Detention Center for the month of January 2013 in the amount of $12,472.
* A request of Mississippi Department of Employment Security to extend its lease for an additional three months.
* An order allowing travel expenses to be incurred by Monroe County fire coordinator Bo Hill to attend the Regional Fire Coordinator meeting to be held in Starkville.
* An order allowing travel expenses to be incurred by Monroe County’s three D.A.R.E. officers to attend the 2013 Tri-State Conference in Gatlinburg, Tenn.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...