Date set for District 36 special election
Gov. Phil Bryant has set March 12 as the date for a special election to fill the Mississippi House of Representatives District 36 seat left empty last month after the passing of Rep. David Gibbs.
So far, the race is between the Rev. Eddie Longstreet of West Point; Dr. Roderick Van Daniel of Aberdeen; Karl Gibbs, David Gibb’s only son, of West Point; Jimmy Davidson, of West Point; and Jeannie Johnson Staten of West Point.
Longstreet, who has pastured St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church for 24 years, served as a staff member for U.S. Rep. Travis Childers.
Daniel earned a doctorate in rural community college leadership and a master’s degree in sports marketing from Mississippi State.
Staten is a retired teacher and social worker who has served as deputy chancery clerk for Clay County.
Gibbs serves as a police officer at the Columbus Air Force Base and is an Alcorn State University graduate.
Davidson is the owner of a construction company, Davco, Inc. and he studied at Prince George Community College and the University of Mississippi.
If no one candidate receives the majority of votes, a runoff election is set for April 2.
District 36 represents parts of Clay, Lowndes and Monroe counties. The district map shows the entire western edge of Monroe County and a portion of Aberdeen highlighted within the area.
The qualifying deadline for candidates is Feb. 11.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...