JROTC cadets fly high with aviation lesson outside of traditional books
ABERDEEN – Cadets from Aberdeen High School’s JROTC classes got a firsthand lesson in aviation as remote control plane hobbyist, Tommy Neal, explained components associated with planes.
Subjects included the reasoning behind the red lights on left wings and green lights on right wings of planes, along with maneuvers of fixed landing gears verses drop landing gears as part of the course’s aviation history lesson.
“I’ve flown remote controlled planes for four years and have learned a lot about air dynamics, altitude and other technical parts of flight,” Neal said.
Pulled in by a fascination of history and World War II battle planes in high school, Neal drew similarities of how one thing leads to another.
“You have to find a subject you’re passionate about so it will lead to something else in life,” said Lt. Col. Jeff Coggin, senior aerospace science instructor with AHS’ JROTC program.
Students also learned about how pilot licenses carry different classifications like driver licenses as well as being quizzed on specifics like the difference between the difference between high wings and low wings.
“I learned about the different types of planes and how I should aim high for my future. Life is more than just Aberdeen and you can get out there and have a good life,” said freshman cadet Taylor Short.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...