We Care: F&H Resources aims to reach out to community through scripture
ABERDEEN – Faith and Hope Resources’ mission can be summed up simply with one sentence.
“We’re spiritual moms and dads trying to prevent disaster,” said Gloria Dunlap, who created the group with the Rev. Darren Foster after soul searching.
“It seemed like my life wasn’t being fulfilled and it came to me that I hadn’t given anything back. I talked with Bro. Darren and asked him to share his gift and we’re looking for more people to share their gifts as well,” Dunlap said.
Implemented the last week of December 2012, Faith and Hope hosts a program each Saturday to educate candidates who can further impact the community with scripture. The idea is to prevent negative consequences through the Bible.
Rather than going door-to-door to share the Bible, the daily Bible walk program entails those who are in need, whether it be because of lack leadership or parenting skills, poor decisions or problems with alcohol and drugs. The group networks to find the right candidates to approach.
“I started case management in 1993 and the 12 steps to improvement are based on the Bible. Counseling helped open me up to knowing people need that spiritual outlet too,” Foster said.
The daily Bible walk will continue until the end of the year to train those wanting to reach out to those in need.
“We’ll establish the whole picture of life and show how faith changes lives. We’ll expect people to get out to share faith with people who need us,” Dunlap said.
The program works as a facilitator to help people find a church they feel comfortable with ultimately. It also works as a resource to push literacy for children.
“We meet each week to empower ourselves to share our gifts with the community to improve other people’s lives. Those good deeds always seem to come back when people need them the most,” Dunlap said.
F&H Resources will host a family and youth night Feb. 21 at the Prairie Community Center from 5 until 7:30 p.m. The event will feature a Bible baseball activity, which simulates a baseball game by asking participants questions from the Bible.
The event goes along with the organization’s goal of encouraging more childhood reading. F&H Resources is looking for more participants to help in its efforts and more areas of Aberdeen to target with its mission.
For more information about F&H Resources, call 640-1555 or 346-6325.
- We Care: St. James United Methodist reaches out to community with weekly soup kitchen
- St. John’s Episcopal Church welcomes its new priest
- Fenstermacher named Red Rose Recipient
- AHS students treat public to ‘A Night of Cultural Arts’
- Allison named Amory’s Citizen of the Year
- Lash loves cooking for large crowds
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...