Relay for Life Kickoff held
AMORY – Enthusiasm was running high at the Monroe County Relay for Life Kickoff held on Thursday, Feb. 7.
The relay will be held on Friday, June 4, from 6 p.m. until midnight in Amory’s Frisco Park. The theme is “Cancer is Playing a Losing Game” and the goal is to raise $30,000.
Co-chairs for this year’s Relay for Life are Lisa Gentry and Denise Strobel. Both know firsthand the importance of cancer research as Strobel is a nine-year breast cancer survivor and Gentry was diagnosed in 2012 with colon cancer and is now cancer free.
Committee chairs for the event are American Cancer Society staff partner, Sara Withrow; Team Recruitment Co-Chairs, Lorie Randolph and Dian Wilemon; Survivors Co-Chairs, Mollye Walsh and Sheila Atkins; Sponsorship Chair, Tami Hester; Entertainment Chair, Art Gentry; Accounting Chair, Patti Boozer; Online Chair and Activities Chair, Denise Strobel; Luminaria Chair, Lisa Gentry.
“This is going to be the best relay Monroe County has seen. It will go down in history. This is a fun way to bring all of the community together to raise money for a wonderful cause. It is also going to be fun as we will be playing games and having a scavenger hunt at the relay,” Strobel.
“It is really personal for me this year. I am glad to be able to participant in this event. Almost everybody, in one way or another, has been affected by cancer,” Gentry said.
Gentry and Strobel said teams are the heart of the relay. There are several teams already signed up, but many more are needed to raise their goal.
To sign up for a team, call Dian Wilemon at 256-9344, or sign up online at email@example.com. Donations can also be made online.
- Relay for Life kicks off Friday
- We Care: Relay for Life aims to pull county together for fight against cancer
- Recipes sought for Amory Museum cookbook
- Diet can be important in reducing risk for breast cancer
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life of Monroe County Kickoff Rally
- Meadowood youth spend break helping others
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...