Hamilton and Hatley Schools to receive domes/shelters
AMORY – At the regularly scheduled monthly meeting of the Monroe County Board of Education on Feb. 5, approval was given to participate in the Hazard Grant Program Phase I, design and engineering, for Hamilton and Hatley dome physical education/shelters.
The facilities will serve as physical education gyms and severe weather shelters. This is a 75 percent – 25 percent Federal Emergency Management Agency grant for the design of two facilities, measuring approximately 7,000 square feet that meet or exceed all of FEMA’s 361 standards for near-absolute protection during severe weather events.
After construction of the dome facilities, current P.E. facilities will be renovated into classroom space. The JBHM professional services agreement was amended to allow them to serve as architects for the dome P.E./Shelters.
In other business, the following were approved:
• Resignations – John Harris, Hatley bus route; Caye Durbin, Hatley teacher; Marty Warren, Hatley teacher/coach; Cathie Wilkinson, Hatley teacher retiring; and Loretta Worthey, Hatley teacher retiring.
• Recommendations – Jeremy Lucius, Caysee Owens, Angie Bunch, substitute teachers and Vickie Hendrik, substitute lunchroom worker.
• Terminate Section 16-12-18 agriculture lease and advertise for bids on same. There are two leases for 30 and 30 acres on Hatley/Detroit Road.
• Smithville tree planting by Van’s Forestry for $80 per acre.
• Section 16-15-18 residential leases renewed for Dawn Bowen Walker, John and Josephine Patterson, Roy Ratliff and Mrs. D.M. Pounders.
• Donation of excess Smithville auditorium seating to City of Fulton for auditorium renovation project. The auditorium will be used by schools for theater performances. Itawamba Agricultural High School had donated to Smithville Schools after the 2011 tornado.
• 2013 – 2014 school year calendar.
• Amendment to policy concerning coaching responsibilities. Coaching supplement schedule for assistant baseball amended to $2,000, while assistant slow and fast pitch was amended to $1,500. Difference in supplement due to no junior high duties in slow and fast pitch.
• For accreditation purposes, a review and approval of attendance procedures, job descriptions and J policies was necessary.
• Vocational Center wireless internet project approved through the E-Rate program at 90 percent funding.
• Advertising for Smithville gym seating.
• Permission to pursue quotes concerning Smithville replacement furniture and purchase at or below state contract pricing.
• Approval to hire Porter’s Blacktop for Hatley parking lot repairs.
The board went into executive session to review personnel matters.
The board scheduled campus visits for March 4, Smithville at 8:15 a.m.; Hatley at 11:30 a.m.; March 5, Hamilton at 8:15 a.m.; Vocational Center at 10:45 a.m.; and ALC at noon.
The March board meeting will be held at 1 p.m. at the ALC after completing the campus visit.
- Smithville’s dome gymnasium under construction
- PTO hosts kickoff for new Hamilton playground
- State test results demonstrate improvements, challenges alike
- Amory, Hatley lead the county in MDE school rankings
- Young named Mississippi Outstanding Secondary Art Teacher for 2013 year
- Monroe County School Board recognizes Hatley School
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...