Troopers, Tigers ready for another round in 3A
By Blake Long
Special to the Journal
For the past several seasons, the fast-pitch softball teams at Mooreville and Nettleton have competed neck-and-neck for the Division 2-3A championship.
The rivalry looks to be just as intense this year as both teams – and all of Northeast Mississippi – prepare to open the 2013 campaign with games this week.
“With us being in the same division, it’s always a big game and I don’t see that changing this year,” said Nettleton coach Dana Rhea, whose Lady Tigers have won the Class 3A state championship two of the past three years.
Nettleton has won three of four against the Lady Troopers over the previous two seasons, but two of those victories came by only one run.
Junior MariAnna Young returns to pitch for the Lady Tigers. She recorded 23 wins with a 1.76 earned run average as a sophomore.
Big hitters Molly Bramlett (.467 batting average) and Anna Kent (.394) will anchor the Nettleton lineup.
Mooreville also boasts a solid pitching staff with eighth grader Hallie Donald and senior transfer Jesslyn Brown from Florida. But Lady Troopers coach Perry Wilburn has one simple wish for the season.
“I just hope we can stay healthy,” he said. “We’ve had some injuries over the past four to five years.”
The two 3A powers do not meet this season until April – in Mooreville on the 4th and at Nettleton on the 18th.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Melissa Meador
- Versed southern writer guest of April Booklunch April 17, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Finances continue upward climb for Amory School District April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...