Amory parents and teachers honored by school board
AMORY – Administrators were on hand to present Parent and Teacher of the Year Awards at the school board’s regular-called meeting on March 7.
“You’ve all heard it takes a village to raise a child. We are here to honor two components of that village – teachers and parents,” said superintendent Tony Cook.
The following teachers and parents were honored for their service and dedication: West Amory Elementary Teacher of the Year – Kim Goldman; West Amory Parent of the Year – Christi Carter; East Amory Teacher of the Year – Stephanie Gallop; East Amory Parent of the Year – Karen Walls; Amory Middle School Teacher of the Year – Brenda Pearson; Amory Middle School Parent of the Year – Kristy Kirkpatrick; Amory High School Teacher of the Year – Masha Laney; Amory High School Parent of the Year – Daniel Howell; Career Technical Center Teacher of the Year – Shirley Moore; and Career Technical Center Parent of the Year – Tom Higgins.
After the awards ceremony, Cook briefed the board on yearly reports within the district.
“The number of infractions within the district is down. In March of last year we had 2,247 infractions. This year we are at 1,297,” said Cook, who pointed out that the largest number of infractions are attributed to cell phones.
Cook noted that, while high school enrollment is down, overall enrollment is on the rise and he predicts that within three to five years the district will be discussing additions.
Average daily attendance percentages fell between 93.7 and 96.3.
“ADA bothers me. We have to create a culture where parents send their kids to school. If they have a fever or are throwing up, that’s one thing. However, if they are just not feeling that great, they still need to be at school,” Cook said.
The board discussed gift card incentives for teacher attendance.
In other business:
–The board approved the recommendations of certified and non-certified personnel for the districts’ 2013-2014 school year.
–The board approved nominations to keep Dr. Bill Rogers as president, Mr. Marquette Rogers as vice-president and Mrs. Mindy Brand as secretary.
- School board votes on long-term substitute teacher pay cut
- Jones named Amory School District’s Administrator of Year
- The centurion, the family man, the legend: A look back at Moses Hardy’s life
- Principals report current standings to Amory School Board
- East Amory Elementary School Reading Fair a hit
- Hamilton elementary students learn to Reject All Tobacco
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Emily Tubb
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...