Wren Volunteer Fire Department welcomes new fire chief
WREN – L.D. Wise is the new fire chief for the Wren Volunteer Fire Department. Wise grew up in the Wren community and is a 1997 graduate of Amory High School. He is a 2000 graduate of Northeast Mississippi Community College with an associate degree in computer programming. He served in the Mississippi National Guard for six years.
Wise and his wife, Amanda, have served with the WVFD for nine years.
“I accepted the position as fire chief because it gives me the opportunity to give back to the Wren community. This is not about me, but the firemen who are always there for the Wren community during any crisis. The firemen are the ones who put their lives on the line for you and me. I appreciate their support. A chief is only as good as his firemen,” Wise said.
Others officers of the WVFD are assistant chief, Anthony Lindsey; captain, Herbert Word; captain, Melton Field; lieutenant, Jesse Butler; lieutenant, Amanda Wise; lieutenant, Kenny Herring; medical officer, A. C. Green; Chaplain, Willie Lockett; and safety officer, Tim Lawson.
The WVFD sponsors an annual fish fry as their major fund-raiser each year. This year’s fish fry is scheduled for Saturday, March 30, from noon until 6 p.m. at the Wren Community Center. Tickets are $8 for either fish or chicken. Tickets can be purchased from any volunteer fire person.
The proceeds from the fish fry will be used to help defray expenses for six firemen to attend the Mississippi Fire Academy for training.
“The Wren community has always been supportive of the fire department. We appreciate their support in any event the fire department has,” Wise said.
- Volunteer departments fight for funds and firefighters
- Supervisors evaluate future fire truck purchases
- School board votes on long-term substitute teacher pay cut
- Hamilton elementary students learn to Reject All Tobacco
- Jones named Amory School District’s Administrator of Year
- Monroe County School District dismisses amid social media post
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Plane crash claims life of Hatley pilot, passenger March 28, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Aberdeen aldermen talk seeks solution for adjudication funding shortfall March 29, 2017
- Hamilton takes down Louisville with ease March 29, 2017
- Lady Tigers hold off late surge from Lady Noles March 29, 2017
- Belle-Shivers Middle School art show rescheduled March 30, 2017
- High winds overturn house trailer March 30, 2017
- MCSO charges Aberdeen man with offenses March 30, 2017
- Funeral arrangements planned for passenger of plane crash March 30, 2017
- Lady Lions strike late to top Lady Tigers March 30, 2017
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...