We Care: School supply drive gains momentum
What a difference a year makes.
Beginning this weekend, we once again will be launching our “We Care for Kids: Communitywide School Supply Drive” to help provide every child in the county’s three school districts with the tools needed to learn.
Last year, the staff at the Monroe Journal partnered with WAFM FM 95.7 and conducted a drive that collected 12 cases of supplies that were delivered to schools across the county.
It was a big undertaking that took a lot of energy from a very small group of people. There were times last year when we’d thought we had bitten off more than we could chew, but the supplies flowed in thanks to the generosity of so many people across the county.
It’s safe to say, that we didn’t fill every need, but we did make a contribution.
This year’s drive is already shaping up to be more successful.
Besides partnering with Ed Stanford and his bunch at 95.7 FM, we’ve also partnered with Kristan Taylor, a social worker intern from Amory.
We joined forces with Taylor and DHS after she approached us about some publicity for a school supply drive she had started.
Taylor’s efforts have doubled the number of drop sites where donations can be made
We’ve also partnered with Carol Knight and Amory Main Street. Knight has set up drop locations at the area banks.
Among the supplies needed are:
— Notebook paper
— Three-prong folders
— Glue Sticks
— Paper towels
Drop box locations will be set up at various locations around the county. Collected supplies will be donated to the Aberdeen, Amory and Monroe County school districts.
The “We Care for Kids: Communitywide School Supply Drive” is a part of the Monroe Journal’s ongoing effort to improve the quality of life in Monroe County. We’re proud to have more members participating this time around. This important community-building has gained a lot of momentum in the past year.
School supply drop box locations will be set up at these locations around Monroe County:
• Bethel Apostolic Church
• Harvey Clark Supply Co.
• Soak up the Sun Tanning Salon
• J’Belle Boutique & Consignment
• Bill’s Hamburgers
• Camp & Co. Salon
• Amory Skate Center
• Monroe Journal office
• WAFM FM 95.7 office
• Grace Fellowship Church
• Dollar General
• Ashley’s Children’s Boutique & Gifts
• Food Giant
• Rite Aid
• Bancorp South – Commerce Street
• Pioneer Community Hospital
• Dollar General
• Cadence Bank
- Wintry precipitation arrives
- Hamilton elementary students learn to Reject All Tobacco
- Monroe County School District dismisses amid social media post
- Loaves and Fishes inaugurates grocery store format
- Renasant Bank makes $479,600 bid for River Birch
- MCSO, U.S. Marshals run registered sex offenders compliance check
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Charlie LangfordCharlie Langford is the general manager of the Monroe Journal.
- Pokemon can’t make those problems go away, but it can distract July 21, 2016
- Justice for Animals movement encourages push for stricter laws July 25, 2016
- MCSO arrests Hamilton man on possession charges July 25, 2016
- ICC now accepting nominations for Alumnus of the Year, Athletic Hall of Fame July 25, 2016
- Amory Regional Museum speaker discusses Negro League baseball July 26, 2016
- Smithville’s Russell back where it all started July 27, 2016
- Local independent film released on DVD July 27, 2016
- If you need some advice, Devy will help you out soon July 27, 2016
- Outlaws baseball tryouts to be held July 29, 30 July 27, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen approve consultant for potential economic opportunities July 27, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....