A little glance at what makes my blood boil
I have discovered as I age that my list of pet peeves is increasing. I’m not sure if I am losing my patience, which was never a strong point with me anyway, but I had gotten much better, or maybe I’m just getting old and cranky. Probably the latter.
Wikipedia.com says a pet peeve is a minor annoyance that an individual identified as particularly annoying to himself (or herself), to a greater degree than others may find it.
Merriam-Webster says a pet peeve is something that annoys a person very much.
For what it’s worth this is a list of some of my pet peeves:
• Litter and throwing out trash on the highways or streets. There is a local store in my mind with a front ditch and side property covered in trash. It may not be their trash, but they could at least have someone pick it up.
• Walking across a parking lot and having to look at a dirty diaper thrown on the ground.
• Crying children in public places. If a child starts crying or having a fit, take them out of the restaurant or wherever you are at. Nobody wants to hear your child scream.
• Parking in handicap spaces when a person is not handicapped.
• People who do not identify themselves on the phone
• Call waiting. If you are talking to someone, don’t tell them to wait a minute while you take another call. I hang up.
• Buying junk food, soft drinks, etc., with food stamps.
• 20- or 30-somethings checking out at the grocery store with food stamps. There may be a reason they have to use them, but they certainly look healthy to me.
• People who go to the food pantry and then go out and sell what they received.
• Needless meetings.
• Kiosks in the mall that are run by people who hound you to try their products. No, means no.
• Going through the drive-thru, then having to go back when they mess your order up.
• When someone with a full cart of groceries gets into the 10 items or less line.
• Dirty restaurant and convenience store bathrooms.
• Pants on men that are too short or too long.
• Men wearing shorts and socks that come half way up the leg.
• Someone opening a cabinet door or drawer and leaving it open.
• Throwing gum on the pavement or sidewalks where it is stepped by somebody else on when entering a business.
• Having to walk past people who are smoking outside to enter a business.
• Finding a favorite product and then it is taken off the market.
• Having a store constantly change where items are placed.
• Being unkind to the elderly. Apparently, I am considered elderly now, but I mean people who really are old.
• Not treating everyone like they are a person of worth.
• Rude people in offices and businesses who treat some people better than others.
• Wearing flip flops, short shorts and a winter jacket in the middle of winter. Wearing shorts and a jacket with 30 degree temps.
• People who use the Monroe Journal for freebies and then buy their advertisements in another publication.
• If you are conservative, people automatically assume you are Republican. I’m sure there are some conservative Democrats out there.
I have to stop while I am ahead on this. I have more, but I will save them for a future column. If you have pet peeves, email me at email@example.com. Maybe we can start a blog about pet peeves. It feels good to get the peeves off my chest.
Alice Ortiz is a staff writer for the Monroe Journal. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reflections of festival bring to mind the tacky and the classy
- Amory Main Street offering a host of upcoming events
- There’s nothing like that warm, fuzzy feeling
- Changes equal improvements for 2015 Railroad Festival
- Slow down and think before leaving children unattended in cars
- How to build authentic character in youth sports
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Alice Ortiz
- Deli 802 offers fresh, simple food July 17, 2016
- Former Amorian’s art on exhibit in Corinth July 21, 2016
- Pokemon Go fever catches on in Monroe County July 21, 2016
- National oppression brings local support for the boys in blue July 21, 2016
- Harmon releases new music video July 21, 2016
- Sargent grew up cooking with mother and grandmother July 24, 2016
- Amendments made to Monroe County School District Athletic Code of Conduct July 23, 2016
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Earning records mistakes can be a big deal July 23, 2016
- MCSO arrests man on parole violation July 22, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen take port director request under advisement July 22, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....