Update: Three people dead after Nettleton shooting
From Brad Locke, Daily Journal
NETTLETON – The three men killed in a shootout on Main Street have been identified as two brothers and an acquaintance.
Otis Eugene Bass, 49, and Joseph Bass, 44, both of Shannon died at the scene and Jamie Guin, 33, of Mantachie, died at North Mississippi Medical Center, according to Monroe County Coronor Alan Gurley.
According to Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson, an altercation that began at United Furniture carried to downtown Nettleton, where shooting began. It was not immediately known how many of the three people involved were firing a weapon.
All were apparently traveling together when the shooting started at the four-way stop at Main Street and Mullen Avenue.
An eye witness, who identified herself as a co-worker at United Furniture, was traveling on Main Street headed south when the shooting started and . She called 911.
A Nettleton Police officer responded to the scene and became engaged in gunfire. The preliminary investigation has found the officer’s return gunfire to be justified, according to Trooper Ray Hall of the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
At the crime scene, a silver Chevy Trailblazer was in the middle of Main Street and halfway into the intersection. Behind it was a Nettleton Police Department patrol car with the back window apparently shot out.
The body of one of the victims was nearby and the body of the other was on the side of Main Street near the intersection of Elliot Avenue. Investigators at the scene were marking the number of shell casings.
The one surviving suspect was airlifted to the North Mississippi Medical Center in critical condition and died later Wednesday afternoon from the gunshot wounds.
None of the shooting victims have been identified.
Nearby schools were put on lockdown after the shooting but were now operating normally.
MHP is leading the investigation, with assistance from the Lee and Monroe county sheriff’s departments. The incident happened near the Lee-Monroe county line, which bisects Nettleton.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is encouraged to contact CrimeStoppers (1-800-773-TIPS), the Lee County Sheriff (662-841-9041) or Monroe County Sheriff (662-369-2468).
- Ottis Bass identified as Nettleton shooter
- Aberdeen aldermen approve resignation, hire for police department
- Wanted subject dies in vehicle accident
- DAR honors locals with annual awards
- Shannon man charged with failure to register as a sex offender
- American Furniture Manufacturing delivering 140 jobs to Amory
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supreme Court seat runoff set for Nov. 29 November 28, 2016
- Aberdeen man arrested for sell of a controlled substance November 30, 2016
- NWS confirms EF-1 tornado from severe weather system November 30, 2016
- Howard pitches citizen-led cooperative at town hall meeting December 1, 2016
- Nettleton businesses inaugurate town’s first Christmas open house December 1, 2016
- Parks likes experimenting with food December 4, 2016
- If every mile is a memory, imagine 230,000 December 3, 2016
- Amory police investigation KFC armed robbery December 2, 2016
- Networking trip to Texas reveals power of partnerships December 2, 2016
- Monroe Countians participate in St. Jude Marathon weekend December 2, 2016
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016...
- Country Boy: Unless another team steps up to the plate (so to s...
- Judy Crump: Thanks for sharing this story. I lost my mother to...
- Kyle Adkins: Contact me Kyle Adkins about your project ....
- Dana Keeton Baxter: If you did not get a door hanger to tell you about...