AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education approved the 2017-2018 school year calendar during its Feb. 14 meeting. The school year will begin July 31 with professional development, which will continue Aug. 1 and 2. Students will arrive back on campus Aug. 3 for the first day of class. Thanksgiving holidays are scheduled for […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
ABERDEEN – First Baptist Church held its fourth annual Chili-Bowl Cookoff on Feb. 5 after the morning worship service. Each year, Super Bowl Sunday is FBC’s “Missions Sunday,” when church members refocus and remind themselves of the God-ordained mission He gave to His church – reach the local church, reach the local community and reach […]
The first Girl Scout cookies were sold in 1917, and 2017 marks 100 years of the continued tradition. Cookies went on sale in January and are available through March. The sale of cookies teaches the girls five essential skills – goal setting, decision-making, money management, people skills and business ethics. Two new cookies were introduced […]
The big game is here. If you haven’t already planned your menu, try some of these new healthy (or not-so-healthy) recipes for the year’s biggest day for football. Whether you call them ham and cheese sliders, baked ham and cheese sandwiches or party sandwiches, they are easy to fix and taste delicious. The Low-Carb Cauliflower […]
COLUMBUS – A fundraiser party will be held on Saturday, Feb. 4, from 4 until 6 p.m. at the Columbus Arts Council, located at 501 Main St., to benefit the Suzuki Strings Advanced Ensemble’s trip to play at Carnegie Hall. The Suzuki Strings Advanced Ensemble will provide music. Abbey and Gracie Swartzendruber of Smithville are members of […]
NETTLETON – God’s House of Hope will soon open to serve men and women suffering with addictions. Several people in Nettleton have been praying for a place that could help people with addictions, a faith-based organization that would direct people to Jesus Christ. “The Lord provided a building and has provided materials and everything needed […]
January is National Soup Month, and it is a good excuse to make a tasty homemade soup. Even though this January, for the most part, hasn’t been cold so far, the weather is bound to change. We don’t often have stone-cold weather in Mississippi but to me, anytime is soup time. I really appreciate people […]
SMITHVILLE – Cheryl Hodges went with her church, Cross Bound Church of Smithville, on a mission trip last year to the Dominican Republic through the Hispanola Mountain Ministries (HMM) of Jackson. “I fell in love with the people and culture and felt God calling me to missions,” Hodges said. “About October last year, HMM was […]
ABERDEEN – Ann Tackett definitely qualifies as an entrepreneur by the Business Dictionary’s definition. Like the definition states, she is, “someone who exercises initiative by organizing a venture to take benefit of an opportunity and, as the decision maker, decides what, how, and how much of a good or service will be produced.” Her latest […]
- Judge makes rulings in pit bull case February 23, 2017
- Conversation of economic development continues through chamber banquet February 23, 2017
- Dance spotlights bonds between daddies and daughters February 23, 2017
- Tupelo Community Theatre taking ‘Cicada’ to regional competition February 23, 2017
- Belle-Shivers shows its appreciation of Aberdeen School Board February 23, 2017
- Legislative Update: Feb. 22, 2017 February 25, 2017
- Amory, Hatley, Nettleton grab wins in jamboree February 24, 2017
- Baseball Panthers tie with Chargers in jamboree action February 24, 2017
- Teachers and parents of the year headline Amory School Board meeting February 24, 2017
- Pro angler keynote speaker for Smithville Baptist Church’s wild game dinner February 24, 2017
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...
- Angie Atkins: Judge makes ruling in Pit bull case: Are you kiddi...
- Gene Ward: Remember, Goliath was a forty point favorite over ...
- Jamie August: Awesome article = is that correct ? only 2 staff m...
- John Nancy Bishop: What time is this on 18th? Want to be there!...