AMORY – At the July 8 meeting of the Monroe County Board of Education, the board approved an amendment to the Athletic Code of Conduct revision pertaining to In School Detention. If athlete is in ISD for the day, he or she will not be allowed to participate (play) or attend game. If an athlete […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Maybe another Grandma Moses, with close ties to Amory, is emerging in Corinth. Self-taught artist 69-year-old Judy Chelmowski’s art exhibit opened at the Corinth Artist Guild Gallery July 9 and will continue to be on exhibit until July 30. “I was overwhelmed at the art exhibit opening,” Chelmowski said. “I saw people I […]
People thinking that libraries are becoming extinct haven’t been to a Summer Reading Club at their local library. These programs are important for students and their academic achievement. Students who lose reading skills during summer break will be two years behind their classmates by the end of the sixth grade. By participating in the summer […]
The Mississippi Department of Education released letter grade accountability levels regarding student performances July 15. This data is based on the tests students took during the 2014-15 school year. That includes the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) test for third- to eighth-graders and the Subject Area Tests for high school […]
Most Monroe County library patrons probably won’t notice any changes to their local library, even though recent statewide budget reductions cut funds to the four-county Tombigbee Regional Library (TRL) System by more than $29,000. Cuts to TRL’s Personnel Incentive Grant Program, funded through the Mississippi Library Commission, went into effect July 1. As a result […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Historical Society will meet at Aberdeen First United Methodist Church at 6:30 p.m. July 21. Guest speaker will be Al Arnold, author of “Robert E. Lee’s Orderly.” Arnold, a descendant of a slave, grew up in Northeast Mississippi. He is a 1986 graduate of Shannon High School and attended Jackson […]
AMORY – Dianna Wilkerson has more than 25 years of experience in food service. “I always wanted my own restaurant. Something simple and light, no fried foods,” Wilkerson said. “I wanted salads, but my daughter, Morgan, said I needed more and she came up with the other ideas.” Deli 802 is owned by Dianna and […]
Mario and I did our annual mission trip a few weeks ago to Crossville and Kilpatrick, Alabama, where we did a Vacation Bible School and helped plant a church for Hispanics that live in that area. We never know where we will be staying. We have had some great places to stay and some not […]
AMORY – Currently, crews are working on a five-mile section from just south of Becker on Highway 25 to U.S. Highway 278 near Walmart. According to Jason Scott, public information officer for Mississippi Department of Transportation, these two lanes of the bypass are anticipated to be complete in the summer of 2017. There are two […]
- What spins us through these long, never-ending summer days July 16, 2016
- Pokemon can’t make those problems go away, but it can distract July 21, 2016
- Former Amorian’s art on exhibit in Corinth July 21, 2016
- Pokemon Go fever catches on in Monroe County July 21, 2016
- National oppression brings local support for the boys in blue July 21, 2016
- Amendments made to Monroe County School District Athletic Code of Conduct July 23, 2016
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Earning records mistakes can be a big deal July 23, 2016
- MCSO arrests man on parole violation July 22, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen take port director request under advisement July 22, 2016
- Inaugural Aberdeen Bulldog Festival planned for Saturday July 22, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....