ABERDEEN – During the annual Aberdeen Pilgrimage, Riverview Garden Club hosts a luncheon at Aberdeen First Baptist Church. Each club member is responsible for selling 10 tickets, and tickets are also sold at the door. Between 250 and 300 tickets are usually sold each year for the event. The garden club uses this event as […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – People race to their favorite food booth when the Amory Railroad Festival begins each year. Everybody has his or her favorite food whether it be apple fritters, Monterey chicken or homemade chicken tenders or deep fried snacks like pork skins, funnel cakes or fried pies. These recipes are not from any particular food […]
AMORY – For years I have been hearing people comment on how good the food is at the Amory baseball concession stand; also known as the Panther Café. Some people have said they were not going to the game but would stop by and purchase their supper. Now, how many people would stop at a […]
ATHENS – River Bend Baptist Church’s annual wild game feast continues to grow each year. There is so much food that extra tables have to be set up to host it. Just a sampling of the wild game dishes that were available for dining at the event include wild hog ribs, fried rabbit, fried squirrel, […]
BECKER – Monroe County farmer Danny Holloway recently won the opportunity to give a $2,500 donation from America’s Farmers Grow Community program to Abby Acres, a Christian camp in Becker. The Monsanto Fund sponsors the Farmer’s Grow Community program. “We are so grateful to Mr. Holloway and The Grow Communities program for this tremendous donation. […]
AMORY – At its March meeting, the Monroe County Board of Education discussed and approved renovations at two school campuses. Superintendent Scott Cantrell told the board painting will be done at Hamilton, and paving will be done at Hatley this week while students are out for spring break. “Suitable weather allowed necessary paving at Smithville […]
AMORY – Dr. Teresa Stanford, family nurse practitioner at Merit Health Gilmore Memorial, was the guest speaker at the hospital’s luncheon seminar Feb. 22. Stanford talked about getting rid of unhealthy habits. “There are lots of heart deaths in Mississippi and Monroe County. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the U.S. […]
AMORY – The Fidelia Club hosted a banquet Feb. 16 with former Amorian, Mandi Marett Stanley, as keynote speaker. A crowd of 270 was entertained by Stanley, while enjoying a meal prepared by Fidelia Club members and served by Amory High School culinary arts instructor Dianne Young and her students. The Fidelia Club has been […]
AMORY – Amory High School inducted 78 students into its National Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society Feb. 13. This induction class entailed the largest number of students ever to be inducted into the honor societies at AHS. To become a member of the National Honor Society, a student must have a cumulative GPA […]
- Riverview Garden Club hosts annual Pilgrimage luncheon April 16, 2017
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office hosting drug take back program April 19, 2017
- MCSO seeks information regarding stolen John Deere Gator April 19, 2017
- Prairie actress steps into director role of Tupelo Film Festival April 20, 2017
- Please excuse our mess while we remodel April 20, 2017
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Confusion at best April 22, 2017
- Lady Tigers rally late for victory over Lady Noles April 21, 2017
- Panthers can’t overcome early Saltillo lead April 21, 2017
- Errors catch up to Lions against Feds April 21, 2017
- Presley tapped to lead national effort on rural gas expansion April 21, 2017
- Chris Burks: Two awesome superstars!...
- Mike Dryden: The death of Richard Justice was a shock. He was m...
- Steven Robertson: So sorry for the family of both of them! Praying f...
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...