AMORY – Amory Main Street Association’s Annual Chili Cook-off will be held in Frisco Park on Monday, Oct. 31 from 5 until 8 p.m. This year’s event will feature a presentation to local “American Idol” winner Trent Harmon. The presentation will be promptly at 5:30 p.m., followed by Harmon singing one song for his hometown […]
About Alice Ortiz
Author Archive | Alice Ortiz
AMORY – Since 2005, the Amory Food Pantry has seen a continued growth in the Hunt for Hunger program, and almost 24,000 pounds of meat have been distributed to needy families. In 2015, local hunters donated one-and-a-half tons of processed meat. This year, the Amory Food Pantry will be relying on six deer processors from […]
Operation Christmas Child has officially kicked off its campaign for 2016, and National Collection Week is November 14-21. First Baptist Church in Amory and Aberdeen are both relay centers for Monroe County. After the boxes are collected and packed up, they are then shipped to Columbus and will go from there to the Atlanta area. […]
AMORY – Beth May had a mammogram in April 2001, and it was fine. In July, she found a lump in her breast and went straight to the doctor. “They did a biopsy, and it was cancer. I wanted to pick a surgeon I trusted, and Dr. Hoat Hoang did my surgery, and I was […]
AMORY – During October Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the United States Postal Service reminds customers that they can help fund breast cancer research by purchasing Breast Cancer Research Stamps. The Amory Post Office invites the public to a Breast Cancer Awareness Month reception on Tuesday, Oct. 25, from 9 until 11 a.m. Light refreshments will […]
HAMILTON – Melinda Reeves is a self-taught cake baker and decorator. Her cakes would rival the cakes from the famous “Cake Boss” television show. Her imagination has no limits when it comes to making and decorating unique cakes. “I got started making cakes when my son Chase was small and was allergic to milk,” Reeves […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville native Selena Standifer, who is deputy director of public affairs of the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) in Jackson, has been selected as one of the Mississippi Business Journal’s “Top 50 Leading Business Women.” “I was honored to be nominated and had no idea I would be chosen in the ‘Top 50.’ […]
AMORY – Smithville High School Principal Chad O’Brian appeared before the Monroe County School Board Oct. 11 to request the renaming of the Smithville football field to the Thomas I. Carroll Sr. Field. “I have been asked by several citizens to consider requesting that the football field be named after Thomas I. Carroll Sr. I […]
SMITHVILLE – “They saved my life,” said Cathy Spann of Smithville as she was describing what happened to her Oct. 10 when she went into anaphylaxis shock after taking a Rocephin shot for a urinary tract infection. Spann said she went to Access Family Health, got the shot, waited the mandatory 15 minutes before leaving […]
- Senior class fundraiser pits city against school on the court October 21, 2016
- Lady Lions’ offense cranks up to take North finals in three games October 25, 2016
- Monroe County schools release accountability ratings October 26, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen vote to not accept solar lawsuit settlement October 26, 2016
- Amory aldermen approve vacant corner building development October 26, 2016
- Amory Main Street chili fest serves good times on Halloween October 28, 2016
- Amory Food Pantry begins Hunt for Hunger program October 28, 2016
- Nettleton grabs first win in battle of the Tigers October 27, 2016
- Bulldogs’ loss to Vikings sets up fight for playoff spot October 27, 2016
- Supervisors discuss MSWIN radios for volunteer fire departments October 27, 2016
- Judy Crump: Thanks for sharing this story. I lost my mother to...
- Kyle Adkins: Contact me Kyle Adkins about your project ....
- Dana Keeton Baxter: If you did not get a door hanger to tell you about...
- Lj2001: Do we know which "parts of Amory"? I have to set...
- Octavia Wells-Obama: sALAAM, 130+ #yourgovernmentmatters and 120+ cultu...