Jerry T. Raspberry, Jr., 46, of Aberdeen is back in custody after a state agency in Jackson that assists individuals who are soon to be released from prison, according to a press release from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office. Raspberry was arrested on July 22 and charged with violation of parole. He will remain in […]
About Ray Van DusenI've been with the Monroe Journal since Aug. 2009 as a staff writer, but took the role as news editor in late 2012. I'm always looking for interesting story ideas from around Monroe County. You can reach me via email at email@example.com.
Author Archive | Ray Van Dusen
ABERDEEN – Stating his desire to make the Port of Aberdeen flourish with economic opportunities, Mayor Maurice Howard made the request July 11 for the board of aldermen to give him the authority to be port director and form a port commission by adopting Mississippi Code 59-1-27 for the city. “With your approval today, I […]
ABERDEEN – Recent aldermen approval of $8,000 from the Urban Development Authority Grant program was the final hurdle to solidify the inaugural Aberdeen Bulldog Festival July 23, and according to the city’s public relations specialist Justin Crosby, plans are going full speed ahead. “We encourage people to bring lawn chairs and come enjoy great food […]
ABERDEEN – As per discussion in the July 11 board of aldermen meeting, Dollar General is coming to Highway 25 near Junior Food Mart. “Dollar General did a feasibility study themselves, and they don’t have the Walmart effect, which means they can’t put a store in the middle of town and have everyone come,” said […]
By W. Derek Russell/Daily Journal DALLAS – Trent Harmon might admit to being a little homesick for Northeast Mississippi, but social media goes a long way to keep him feeling connected. The final “American Idol” winner is currently on a cross-country trek promoting his new hit single, “There’s a Girl,” which also describes Harmon on […]
For the past several months, tension between members of the public and several different police departments has inspired news coverage difficult to avoid. In recent weeks, that hostility has escalated. “TV is putting out what they want to just to stir the pot,” said Sheriff Cecil Cantrell in regard to media coverage of some […]
If you’ve noticed an abnormally higher amount of people walking around paying even more attention to their smartphone screens during the past couple of weeks, there’s a reason why. A video game turned trading card game turned cartoon that began in the late 90s got a reboot July 6 with the U.S. release of Pokemon […]
As complicated as writing about fiscal years and assessments are, they’re more understandable to me these days than the premise behind Pokemon. With the exception of a few Nicktoons, the occasional “Kim Possible” and a few shows on Cartoon Network, I was long-removed from several cartoons by the late 90s and early 2000s, making the […]
By CHARLOTTE WOLFE/FOR THE MONROE JOURNAL Emily Tubb, who is currently a staff writer and advertising sales consultant for the Monroe Journal, has been promoted to general manager. She replaces Ricky Kimbrell, who left recently to pursue an opportunity with Sanctuary Hospice in Tupelo. “Emily’s experience at the Monroe Journal in both advertising and editorial […]
- What spins us through these long, never-ending summer days July 16, 2016
- Amory’s Seger acclimated in the 4A softball grind July 20, 2016
- Pokemon can’t make those problems go away, but it can distract July 21, 2016
- Former Amorian’s art on exhibit in Corinth July 21, 2016
- Pokemon Go fever catches on in Monroe County July 21, 2016
- MCSO arrests man on parole violation July 22, 2016
- Aberdeen aldermen take port director request under advisement July 22, 2016
- Inaugural Aberdeen Bulldog Festival planned for Saturday July 22, 2016
- City officials announce second Dollar General location July 22, 2016
- Amory’s Thornton shining in the goal for UNA July 21, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....