The jacket notes on a new book by Dr. Alan Brown say, “The Golden Triangle is an institutional hub, but restless spirits of Native Americans, Civil War soldiers and slaves also wander this region.” His newest collection of stories involves a couple of places in Monroe County, namely the Gregg-Hamilton House in Aberdeen and the […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
AMORY – What and how we eat can be important in reducing the risk of breast cancer or recurrence of it. There is no particular food or diet that can prevent a person from getting breast cancer, but some foods can make your body healthier, boost the immune system, and help keep the risk of […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – There are ribbons in not only pink, but printed in several colors representing several cancers tightly wound around sections of a windmill in the yard of Frank and Linda Record on the corner of Jefferson and James streets. A subject close to her heart, she thought the […]
By Alice Ortiz Monroe Journal AMORY – East Amory Elementary School fourth-graders hosted a Breast Cancer Awareness Walk Oct. 8 to honor those who have fought and beat breast cancer and those who continue the fight to beat it. The walk also paid tribute to those who fought valiantly against the disease and lost. Students dressed […]
By Alice Ortiz Monroe Journal WREN – Beverly Haney had a mammogram in January 2014, and it came back fine. She noticed some changes in her breast and in April 2014, she went to her gynecologist, who immediately sent her to the Breast Health Center in Tupelo the same day. She was scheduled for a […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal HAMILTON – Hamilton athletics will spread the message of breast cancer awareness Oct. 23 before its home football game against West Lowndes High School, beginning with the honoring of five school employees who are breast cancer survivors. The faculty members will be the honorary team captains and will flip […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Daniel Baptist Church will take the lead in spreading not only breast cancer awareness, but awareness of all cancers Oct. 24 with a walk through downtown. “On a united front, cancer is riddling everybody’s house. I’ve heard of cancer in Monroe County and in Aberdeen,” said Maddie […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – In observance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Pioneer Community Hospital will host a free luncheon at First United Methodist Church Oct. 28 at noon. The Paint the Hospital Pink annual ladies luncheon will be held at the church’s fellowship hall. Door prizes will be available. Speakers include […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal HAMILTON – It’s hard not to get a smile out of Mary Carter. No matter the ways breast cancer has tested her, she keeps saying ‘yes’ to pretty much any favor asked, volunteering in her community and reminding herself that the Lord kept her here for a purpose. ”Cancer […]
- Monroe County Board of Education approves campus renovations March 20, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Rare state flag and constitution to be exhibited at museum March 23, 2017
- OWO action returns with lumberjack strap match March 23, 2017
- Tigers strike early to top Blue Devils March 23, 2017
- River Bend Baptist Church hosts sixth wild game feast March 26, 2017
- Legislative update: March 22, 2017 March 25, 2017
- Nettleton woman charged with false reporting of a crime March 24, 2017
- MCSO arrests four on separate charges March 24, 2017
- Noles pour it on offensively in road win over Falcons March 24, 2017
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...
- jwc1480: $50,000. Sounds 'bout right for gov'ment work....
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...