ATHENS – River Bend Baptist Church’s annual wild game feast continues to grow each year. There is so much food that extra tables have to be set up to host it. Just a sampling of the wild game dishes that were available for dining at the event include wild hog ribs, fried rabbit, fried squirrel, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By District 20 Rep. Chris Brown/For the Monroe Journal The deadline to consider revenue and appropriations bills that originated in the Senate occurred this week. Among other things, these bills detail how much money will be appropriated to a number of different state boards and departments. These include the Department of Revenue, the Department of […]
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, Ashley Nicole Miller, 28, of Nettleton was arrested in Nettleton and charged with false reporting of a crime. She is currently in the Monroe County Detention Center and her bond has been set at $5,000. According to Sheriff Cecil Cantrell, the incident stems from a family matter.
According to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, Luke Burroughs, 35, of Tremont was arrested March 24 and charged with possession of a controlled substance. He later faced an additional charge of false identifying information after giving the arresting officer the name of his brother. Hunter Douglas Dahlem, 26, of Hamilton has an additional charge of breaking […]
AMORY – Amory Police Chief Ronnie Bowen has one more reason to express appreciation to the police force he serves and leads. Amory recently made the list of the National Council for Home Safety and Security’s safest cities in Mississippi list. Amory ranked number 11 on the list of 25 cities. “This is the first […]
ABERDEEN – Last October, people came by the dozens to support an Aberdeen Main Street-sponsored farm to table dinner to benefit its depot project near Chestnut Street. On March 30, people will have the same opportunity to dine, drink and see and be seen at Farmers Market Plaza for the Dollars for the Depot dinner. […]
AMORY – The Outlaw Wrestling Organization will host six matches March 25 with a lumberjack strap match as the main event. Terrell “Dirty” Moore, Curley Moe and Brett Michaels will face off against “Hollywood” Jimmy Blaylock, Neil “The Real Deal” Taylor and Barry Wolf in the night’s big match that could involve some audience participation. […]
AMORY – A couple of important artifacts of Mississippi history will come to Amory for a brief visit toward the end of March to commemorate the state’s bicentennial celebration. “It’s certainly a unique opportunity for the citizens of Amory,” said Amory Regional Museum Director Bo Miller. To celebrate the bicentennial year, the Mississippi Department of […]
PRAIRIE – Members of law enforcement joined with family members of the late Eric “E.K.” Wilson, the only Aberdeen police officer to be killed in the line of duty, at his graveside March 17 during a remembrance ceremony to mark the 26th anniversary of his death. “I loved my brother just like my brothers and […]
- Monroe County Board of Education approves campus renovations March 20, 2017
- Sister of fallen officer issues stern message to unknown killer March 23, 2017
- Rare state flag and constitution to be exhibited at museum March 23, 2017
- OWO action returns with lumberjack strap match March 23, 2017
- Tigers strike early to top Blue Devils March 23, 2017
- River Bend Baptist Church hosts sixth wild game feast March 26, 2017
- Legislative update: March 22, 2017 March 25, 2017
- Nettleton woman charged with false reporting of a crime March 24, 2017
- MCSO arrests four on separate charges March 24, 2017
- Noles pour it on offensively in road win over Falcons March 24, 2017
- Carol Bray: Their, not there. Not just once, but multiple time...
- Jill Haney: Totally agree. ...
- Jimmy Williams: GREAT STORY...
- jwc1480: $50,000. Sounds 'bout right for gov'ment work....
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...