Taylor Ashley, a Warrior, Alabama angler with strong Monroe County ties, recently won the Costa FLW Series Southeast Division opener presented by Power-Pole recently at Lake Okeechobee, Florida. Ashley’s first-place win earned him $60,400. The tournament was the 19-year-old’s first FLW Series event to have entered and his first time to Lake Okeechobee. His daily […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
ABERDEEN – On an unseasonably warm Wednesday in February, first-year Aberdeen head baseball coach Seth Dover was nailing practice balls towards center field where nearly a dozen players were practicing catching and throwing. “Not all catches are going to be pretty,” he shouted to players 25 to 30 yards away. This season is the third […]
AMORY – On Feb. 11, an individual lost a wallet at a business in Amory, and the victim’s credit card was used at another Amory business the next day, according to the Amory Police Department. An investigation led officers to the arrest of Brysyn Burnside on Feb. 13. Burnside, 23, of Amory was charged with a […]
For the Monroe Journal AMORY – The public is invited to attend Lunching With Books Feb. 21 at noon at the Amory Municipal Library. The guest speaker will be Jacquelyn C. Allen. Allen is a Tupelo native who has a degree in history from Mississippi State University. She has written a nonfiction book, “Zookymoon.” It […]
ABERDEEN – It has been said that there is nothing so constant as change. The seasons demonstrate it, and the times require it. Scott Curtis, Derek Surrette and Jerry Williams, discussing Nationwide Insurance, began the presentations at the Feb. 10 board of supervisors meeting by describing how the retirement plan offered through the company would […]
ABERDEEN – First Baptist Church held its fourth annual Chili-Bowl Cookoff on Feb. 5 after the morning worship service. Each year, Super Bowl Sunday is FBC’s “Missions Sunday,” when church members refocus and remind themselves of the God-ordained mission He gave to His church – reach the local church, reach the local community and reach […]
AMORY – “To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul,” Voltaire said. A few years ago, some members and friends of the St. Helen’s Catholic Church congregation expressed their interests in creating an initiative for community involvement to inspire greater interaction among their neighbors. The brainstorming birthed the Community […]
AMORY – Junior Auxiliary will continue a tradition of honoring a couple of outstanding Amorians, highlighting several high school senior girls and giving people a chance to socialize at a semi-formal event Feb. 25 as part of its charity ball. “Charity ball isn’t just a great event benefiting children, but it gives the community an […]
ABERDEEN – Military service for Cecil Belle began with being drafted for the Vietnam War in 1969. After serving until 1971 with the U.S. Army, he received a call from a National Guard representative asking if he’d be interested in joining as part of its integration. “As a black, I couldn’t join before then. The […]
- Aberdeen senior citizen’s group hosts Valentine’s brunch February 14, 2017
- Scholarship is special both to Baker and ICC February 16, 2017
- Lady Panthers top Corinth to close division play February 16, 2017
- Belle’s push for racial equality helped for a changing of the guard February 17, 2017
- JA’s charity ball mixes society with philanthropy February 17, 2017
- Angler with Monroe County connections wins Florida bass tournament February 21, 2017
- First year coach’s plan is to farm baseball fundamentals back in Aberdeen February 21, 2017
- Amory man arrested for credit card fraud February 20, 2017
- Tupelo native featured speaker of Lunching with Books February 20, 2017
- Supervisors mull change in policies, people and places February 20, 2017
- Gene Ward: Remember, Goliath was a forty point favorite over ...
- Jamie August: Awesome article = is that correct ? only 2 staff m...
- John Nancy Bishop: What time is this on 18th? Want to be there!...
- Mallory P Johnston: The formation of this article isn't written as an...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016...