By Melinda Myers/For the Monroe Journal Spend less time and money while growing a bounty of flavorful vegetables this growing season. Increase your harvest, even in small garden spaces, with proper planning and easy care, high yielding vegetables. A productive garden starts with a plan, but choosing the best vegetables to grow and where to plant […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
ABERDEEN – For the past five years, the Aberdeen Garden Club has hosted a Valentine’s Day luncheon as its annual fundraiser. In addition to being a fundraiser, it also serves as an outreach to the community. It gives people the opportunity to mingle with old friends and make new ones. There are 23 club members, […]
By Rep. Karl Gibbs/For the Monroe Journal With general House bills out of the way, representatives began working on House appropriations bills, which will determine how much money is given to various state organizations. The House was responsible for looking at the preliminary budgets of 54 state agencies, including the departments of transportation, public health, […]
AMORY – The size of the event made it necessary to host it in larger quarters. The Feb. 13 meeting of the Amory School Board was held at the Learning Center, a spacious former grocery store given to the Amory School District by the Dalrymple Foundation. Certificates of recognition were presented to school district staff, […]
SMITHVILLE – Smithville Baptist Church’s men’s ministry team will serve a taste of the hunting seasons during its wild game dinner Saturday, Feb. 25, at 6 p.m. “We’ll definitely have deer, quail and duck and hopefully some wild hog meat. We try to have it in February after deer season has ended,” said Scott Edwards, […]
AMORY – The Monroe County Board of Education approved the 2017-2018 school year calendar during its Feb. 14 meeting. The school year will begin July 31 with professional development, which will continue Aug. 1 and 2. Students will arrive back on campus Aug. 3 for the first day of class. Thanksgiving holidays are scheduled for […]
ABERDEEN – Sponsorships of $25, $50 and $100 will be sought through March 1 for the See Smart Scenic 5K powder run/walk, which will be held April 1 at 8 a.m. alongside the westside of Aberdeen Lake. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Monroe County Children’s Vision Center. It is being held in conjunction […]
ABERDEEN – Members of the Aberdeen School Board and Aberdeen School District Conservator Mac Curlee were the guests of honor Feb. 15 at Belle-Shivers Middle School in observance of School Board Appreciation Week. After being served a lunch by members of the school’s leadership team, Junior Beta Club President Niyah Lockett gave the welcome. Next, […]
TUPELO – It’s a small world indeed. Tupelo Community Theatre (TCT) Director Tom Booth of Wren remembers a classmate of his once saying she was babysitting the Dye boys in Amory. Years later, Booth is directing a play written by one of those boys. To that matter, that play written by Jerre Dye has already […]
- Judge makes rulings in pit bull case February 23, 2017
- Supervisors mull change in policies, people and places February 20, 2017
- Tupelo Community Theatre taking ‘Cicada’ to regional competition February 23, 2017
- Belle-Shivers shows its appreciation of Aberdeen School Board February 23, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs’ game plan leads to victory February 23, 2017
- Grow a high-yield vegetable garden this season February 26, 2017
- Aberdeen Garden Club hosts annual Valentine’s luncheon February 26, 2017
- Legislative Update: Feb. 22, 2017 February 25, 2017
- Amory, Hatley, Nettleton grab wins in jamboree February 24, 2017
- Baseball Panthers tie with Chargers in jamboree action February 24, 2017
- Joan Z Dufresne: Took the words right out of my mouth!! Well said!!...
- Angie Atkins: Judge makes ruling in Pit bull case: Are you kiddi...
- Gene Ward: Remember, Goliath was a forty point favorite over ...
- Jamie August: Awesome article = is that correct ? only 2 staff m...
- John Nancy Bishop: What time is this on 18th? Want to be there!...