Billy Joe Tate, 55 of Becker was arrested July 29 and charged with felony sale of a controlled substance. He is currently in the custody of the Monroe County Adult Detention Center awaiting an arraignment.
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The Mississippi back-to-school tax-free shopping weekend is meant to help parents save money when purchasing back-to-school clothing and footwear. The tax-free shopping usually coincides with back-to-school shopping. Aberdeen and Amory will again participate in this event set for July 29–30. Sometimes shoppers don’t think of shopping at their local stores and on Main Street. When […]
AMORY – The heat index was stifling last Tuesday afternoon, but the feel of making heads turn on Main Street at Highway 278 in a 1972 Volkswagen bus was definitely cool. About one song after Eddie Money’s “I Wanna Go Back” played on the VW’s mp3 player made to look like an old AM radio, […]
AMORY – With the sense of excitement last year’s Back to School Bash exuded, the Junior Auxiliary couldn’t pass the opportunity to have another one to begin the 2016-2017 school year on an electrified note. “Just looking at the pictures from last year and the response is why we wanted to do it again. It […]
ABERDEEN – During its July 20 meeting, the board of supervisors heard options to improve communication for the county’s volunteer fire departments with the best route being Mississippi Wireless Information Network (MSWIN) radios. “My initial thoughts are $200,000 to put in all the fire trucks the county owns and a select number for each department,” […]
By Dennis Seid/Daily Journal Dollar General has bought 41 of the former Walmart Express stores in 11 states for an undisclosed sum, including the Nettleton location. Other Mississippi purchases include Belmont, Derma, Mantachie, Nettleton and Sardis. Dollar General has existing stores in these communities and will move into the larger locations that were once Walmart […]
AMORY – There was a time when cases of parvovirus were commonly seen near Thanksgiving and mid-spring. “We’ll see it in groups. We’ll see six or seven cases, and then we don’t see it,” said Dr. Pat Hidalgo of Amory Animal Hospital. “Letting your dogs roam is asking for trouble. Generally, stray dogs aren’t vaccinated. […]
AMORY – In late September or early October, four primary patrol units of the Amory Police Department are expected to have the capability to document calls not just from a more panoramic view from the dashboard but from the officers’ standpoint. Purchased through state funds from citations, the APD has purchased Watch Guard […]
By RAY VAN DUSEN and EMILY TUBB/Monroe Journal Commissioner Mike Tagert has announced grant awards for multimodal projects in Mississippi’s Northern Transportation District, including grants for Aberdeen and Amory’s ports. “The projects these grants are funding will support existing jobs and create new opportunities for the citizens of North Mississippi, while also boosting the local […]
- Social Security Knowledge Center: Earning records mistakes can be a big deal July 23, 2016
- Local independent film released on DVD July 27, 2016
- Smithville’s Russell back where it all started July 27, 2016
- Piece of local architectural history listed for sale July 28, 2016
- Aberdeen, Amory ports awarded MDOT multimodal grants July 28, 2016
- MCSO makes sale of controlled substance arrest July 29, 2016
- Area towns participate in tax-free shopping July 29, 2016
- Cruisin’ Amory ignites touch of teenage nostalgia July 29, 2016
- Back to School Bash ushers in start of new school year July 29, 2016
- Supervisors discuss possible improved means of VFD communication July 29, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....