ABERDEEN – Bottomline, the need for stricter animal protection laws was the biggest takeaway of a meeting held July 11 in defense of animals. Doll Stanley, campaign director of the Justice for Animals campaign, led the discussion that focused on existing ordinances pertaining to animal cruelty. “Look in the mirror. It may bother you, but […]
Tag Archives | featured
ABERDEEN – Even though summer vacation has been in full swing, several students of the Aberdeen School District have continued their education, only slightly different from the typically school year curriculum, through the 21st Century program. “In the past, we’ve focused strictly on academics, but we can’t draw just on those things they do all […]
AMORY – For local artist Kathy Parker, the 1970s provided her prime for riding Amory’s now defunct loop on the weekends. Like several other former teenagers from a number of decades past, she is thrilled to relive a little of her youth July 30 as part of the Cruisin’ Amory event, an organized event for […]
BIGBEE – Sharon Sargent grew up cooking in the kitchen with her mother and grandmother. She was 13 years old when she cooked her first full meal by herself. “I grew up working in the gardens. We would have the vegetables picked and ready for mother to put up when she got in from work,” […]
For the past several months, tension between members of the public and several different police departments has inspired news coverage difficult to avoid. In recent weeks, that hostility has escalated. “TV is putting out what they want to just to stir the pot,” said Sheriff Cecil Cantrell in regard to media coverage of some […]
If you’ve noticed an abnormally higher amount of people walking around paying even more attention to their smartphone screens during the past couple of weeks, there’s a reason why. A video game turned trading card game turned cartoon that began in the late 90s got a reboot July 6 with the U.S. release of Pokemon […]
AMORY – Maybe another Grandma Moses, with close ties to Amory, is emerging in Corinth. Self-taught artist 69-year-old Judy Chelmowski’s art exhibit opened at the Corinth Artist Guild Gallery July 9 and will continue to be on exhibit until July 30. “I was overwhelmed at the art exhibit opening,” Chelmowski said. “I saw people I […]
By CHARLOTTE WOLFE/FOR THE MONROE JOURNAL Emily Tubb, who is currently a staff writer and advertising sales consultant for the Monroe Journal, has been promoted to general manager. She replaces Ricky Kimbrell, who left recently to pursue an opportunity with Sanctuary Hospice in Tupelo. “Emily’s experience at the Monroe Journal in both advertising and editorial […]
Most Monroe County library patrons probably won’t notice any changes to their local library, even though recent statewide budget reductions cut funds to the four-county Tombigbee Regional Library (TRL) System by more than $29,000. Cuts to TRL’s Personnel Incentive Grant Program, funded through the Mississippi Library Commission, went into effect July 1. As a result […]
- County municipal leaders attend Mississippi Municipality League conference July 18, 2016
- National oppression brings local support for the boys in blue July 21, 2016
- Harmon releases new music video July 21, 2016
- Amory’s Thornton shining in the goal for UNA July 21, 2016
- City officials announce second Dollar General location July 22, 2016
- Justice for Animals movement encourages push for stricter laws July 25, 2016
- Students enriched through 21st Century program July 25, 2016
- Cruisin’ reunion artwork goes to benefit Amory Humane Society July 25, 2016
- Sargent grew up cooking with mother and grandmother July 24, 2016
- Amendments made to Monroe County School District Athletic Code of Conduct July 23, 2016
- Jackie Jackson: My great grandfather was Murray Thompson. Please ...
- JERR: The Marty Dean Kennedy is the Federal Prison in Ta...
- Carroll White: Would love to see this happen for the Hatley Schoo...
- Chad Houston: Great article!!! The event called "Cruisin' Amor...
- Robert Pope: Theys a Explosive an bomb unit circling the block....