Hurricane News 1/23/08
The January Bible Study will be held at Shady Grove Baptist Church on January 27-30 beginning at 7:00 p.m. Bro. Don Savell will present the study, and Bro. David Barnett is host pastor.
Get well wishes to Warren Norwood, Tim Ross, and to Charles White.
Birthday wishes to Cathy Montgomery and to Don Browning.
Attending the Inaugural festivities and functions in Jackson last week were Faye Dillard. Shelia Owen, Fredia Browning, Susan Hooker and Vickie Dyer of Longview. On Monday the group enjoyed the Mississippi talent at the Gospel Prayer Breakfast for Governor and Mrs. Haley Barbourat the Agricultural Museum. That afternoon the group toured the Coliseum and Trade Center as a guest of Dr. Lester Spell. Rep.. Mac Huddleston was in the House of Representatives as they were in session on Monday afternoon.
They were introduced to the Senate by Senator Nickey Browning of Pontiotc at 4:00 p.m. On Tuesday morningat the Inauguration, Faye Dillard and Herb Montgomery were featured on the evening news. The parade and a tea at the Governor’s mansion were Tuesday afternoon’s schedule, Once again a host of Mississippi All Stars were the featured entertainment at the second Inaugural Ball held at the Coliseum that was beautifully decorated for the occasion with magnolias and a replica of the Governor’s Manson serving as a backdrop for the event.
Congratulations to Lee and Jessica Singleton Hill of Madison whoare the proud parents of a son, Howard Parker Hill who was born on Dec. 27. Proud great-grandparents of Parkerare Ward and Jimmie G. Warren of Hurricane and Lois Kidd Hill of Lone Star. Grandparents from Pontotoc are Howard and Rita Hill. Jimmie Warren celebrated a birthday on Dec. 28.
Correction from last week’ column: A belated expression of sympathy is extended to the family of Coach Mike McCarver of Mantachie who was the son of Helen Coker McCarver and of the late Mack McCarver of Ecru. Survivors include a daughter, Brittany McCarver, and a sister, Vickie McCarver Bishop, and a nephew, Mack Carver Bishop of Oxford. An article in the Itawamba Timesshared by his Mom, Helen, told of hiscoaching career at Mantachie as Coach Mike McCarver had been there for 29 years. A host of students,teachers, coaches and administration made statements about his positive influence upon his players. One of the quotes from the article …”His loss has spreadacross the school andentire Mantachie community likea shadow But in that shadow shines a bright spot: The memory of a good man,,,
Community Yesteryear’s: Top scholars from 1948: Waymon Morris and Stanley Russell. 1958: Sherry Graham and June Dorrough. 1958: Demetria Caples and Brenda Wray.
The boys basketball team from Hurricane were the 1938 Northwest Mississippi State champions. The coaches were Arthur Norwood and James T. Coleman. Players were the following: James Horton, Hpward Warren, Quitman Dorrough, Stanley Wise, J. C. Hearn, L.C. Swords, Boyd Montgomery, and Belton Berry.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...