Hurricane News 1/23/08
The January Bible Study will be held at Shady Grove Baptist Church on January 27-30 beginning at 7:00 p.m. Bro. Don Savell will present the study, and Bro. David Barnett is host pastor.
Get well wishes to Warren Norwood, Tim Ross, and to Charles White.
Birthday wishes to Cathy Montgomery and to Don Browning.
Attending the Inaugural festivities and functions in Jackson last week were Faye Dillard. Shelia Owen, Fredia Browning, Susan Hooker and Vickie Dyer of Longview. On Monday the group enjoyed the Mississippi talent at the Gospel Prayer Breakfast for Governor and Mrs. Haley Barbourat the Agricultural Museum. That afternoon the group toured the Coliseum and Trade Center as a guest of Dr. Lester Spell. Rep.. Mac Huddleston was in the House of Representatives as they were in session on Monday afternoon.
They were introduced to the Senate by Senator Nickey Browning of Pontiotc at 4:00 p.m. On Tuesday morningat the Inauguration, Faye Dillard and Herb Montgomery were featured on the evening news. The parade and a tea at the Governor’s mansion were Tuesday afternoon’s schedule, Once again a host of Mississippi All Stars were the featured entertainment at the second Inaugural Ball held at the Coliseum that was beautifully decorated for the occasion with magnolias and a replica of the Governor’s Manson serving as a backdrop for the event.
Congratulations to Lee and Jessica Singleton Hill of Madison whoare the proud parents of a son, Howard Parker Hill who was born on Dec. 27. Proud great-grandparents of Parkerare Ward and Jimmie G. Warren of Hurricane and Lois Kidd Hill of Lone Star. Grandparents from Pontotoc are Howard and Rita Hill. Jimmie Warren celebrated a birthday on Dec. 28.
Correction from last week’ column: A belated expression of sympathy is extended to the family of Coach Mike McCarver of Mantachie who was the son of Helen Coker McCarver and of the late Mack McCarver of Ecru. Survivors include a daughter, Brittany McCarver, and a sister, Vickie McCarver Bishop, and a nephew, Mack Carver Bishop of Oxford. An article in the Itawamba Timesshared by his Mom, Helen, told of hiscoaching career at Mantachie as Coach Mike McCarver had been there for 29 years. A host of students,teachers, coaches and administration made statements about his positive influence upon his players. One of the quotes from the article …”His loss has spreadacross the school andentire Mantachie community likea shadow But in that shadow shines a bright spot: The memory of a good man,,,
Community Yesteryear’s: Top scholars from 1948: Waymon Morris and Stanley Russell. 1958: Sherry Graham and June Dorrough. 1958: Demetria Caples and Brenda Wray.
The boys basketball team from Hurricane were the 1938 Northwest Mississippi State champions. The coaches were Arthur Norwood and James T. Coleman. Players were the following: James Horton, Hpward Warren, Quitman Dorrough, Stanley Wise, J. C. Hearn, L.C. Swords, Boyd Montgomery, and Belton Berry.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series