New Albany School District begins construction projects at three sites
Construction at New Albany Schools can be seen by students daily as they walk to class throughout the week. Projects are being completed at the elementary school, middle school and high school.
At New Albany Elementary School (NAES), a 10,500 square foot physical education building is being built at the cost of approximately $850,000, according to New Albany School Superintendent Charles Garrett.
“We want to get as much up-to-date equipment that will allow the kids to get enough exercise as possible,” Garrett said.
Garrett said the building is currently being used and everything is complete except the tile. The tile will be laid down over the Thanksgiving holiday and the building should be fully operational by December 1, 2008.
The cost of the NAES project is being paid for by a tax settlement received by ENRON to the New Albany Public School Board.
According to Garrett, “We had an ENRON plant here and it closed down and we got a tax settlement from them a year ago of half a million dollars, so we put that money into that project.”
At New Albany Middle School, 2,200 square feet is being added to the band physical education athletic area. The athletes and students involved in physical education are lifting weights and working out in the same area where they dress. The added square footage will be used between the band and physical education students so they can use the space better, Garrett said.
The cost of this project is $800,000. $400,000 comes from Qualified Zone Academy Bonds (QZAB), which is federal money from the government that is interest-free and the other $400,000 comes from New Albany Public School Board District’s savings and building fund.
At New Albany High School, the School of Career and Technical Education is getting their roof replaced at the cost of $300,000. The project is expected to be completed by the end of November.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...