Myrtle comesback versus Falcons
Vardaman 77 West Union 60
Wesley Jumper scored 30 and Luke Wait added 10 as West Union dropped a 77-60 decision to the Vardaman Rams in the boys’ consolation game on Saturday. Sergio Prescott lead Vardaman with 29 points.
Home for the holidays
West Union fans will be able to get their fill of basketball action as the Lady Eagles and Eagles will be home for the remainder of the year with regions games against Strayhorn (Dec 15th), and country-rival Myrtle (Dec 19th) along with a non-region game with Hatley (Dec 12th) before taking off for the Christmas holidays.
East Union 63 Hamilton 61
Gareth Pannell and Martin Keaton led their respective teams with 22 points a piece, but it was East Union that came out on top versus the Lions 63-61 Friday night.
East Union held the advantage after the first frame with a 19-11 lead, but the Lions would return the favor in the second, outscoring the Urchins 19-12.
Hamilton took the lead in the third, but 20 points by East Union in the fourth pushed them back to .500 on the season.
Stepfan Sartori also had 21 for Hamilton, while Matthew Carter added 15 for the Urchins, who are now 6-6 on the year.
East Union will host Falkner Tuesday night before going on the road Friday to take on Baldwyn.
Myrtle 73 Ingomar 61
Ingomar looked to be on their way to a win over their county rival on the final day of the Myrtle Tournament, but a big second half propelled Myrtle, as they defeated Ingomar 73-61 Saturday night.
After the Falcons took an early 11-5 lead, Myrtle head coach Jonathan Ashley pulled all of his starters out of the game, making a statement that he knew his team could play better than they were.
A three pointer by David Wilson at the end of the first cut the deficit to 20-10 in favor of Ingomar, and the Falcons would continue to roll to a 40-29 halftime lead.
A different Myrtle team came out in the second half, as they scored 27 to take the lead, and outscoring the Falcons again in the fourth gave the Hawks their 10th win of the season.
J.J.Jordanled Myrtle with 23 points, while Jamel Judon added 18 and David Wilson 16. For the Falcons, Zach Carnell had 18, while Matt Purvis added 16 and Clay Kidd 13. Myrtle went 2-0 in their home tournament, while Ingomar was 0-2.
Myrtle will host Ashland on Tuesday before traveling to take on the 4A Chargers of Oxford on Friday. For the Falcons, they have a date set with Hickory Flat this Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...