Ingomar continues winning ways, sweep Urchins

Three different players scored in double digits to help the Lady Falcons to their second straight win with a 61-46 victory over East Union while the Urchins dropped a 56-54 heartbreak in the final seconds to the Falcons.

Ingomar 56  East Union 54  (B)

Ingomar connected on 8-of-15 from the free throw line in the fourth quarter to hang on for a wild two-point win over East Union on Monday night.

Matthew Carter tied the game 44-44 after connecting on one-of-two free throw attempts, but Matt Purvis hit a spinning jumper in the lane followed by a one-of-two from the line to give the Falcons a 47-44 lead with 3:14 left in the game.

Purvis knocked down a pair of free throws to push the lead back out to three with 2:52 to play and the two teams battled at that same point margin until Matt knocked down four free throws in the final thirty seconds of the contest.

East Union and Clay Armstrong refused to go away quietly.

Armstrong nailed a deep three to make it a 54-51 game with 16.9 seconds left.  A quick foul put Tyler McCay made both attempts from the line — something that would prove to be extremely crucial in sixteen seconds.

Trailing 56-51 East Union missed a quick three and had to foul McCay with 6 seconds on the clock, but Tyler missed on both attempts allowing Ethan Reaton to rush the ball down the floor to knock down a three as the horn sounded as Ingomar escaped with a 56-54 victory.

“Free throws got us where we had a little lead there in the end, but it was a very poor effort on our part,” Coach Norris Ashley said.  “East Union probably deserved to win it more than we did.”

Purvis led all scorers with 28, Zach Carnell 14, Kensey Stout 7, McCay 4, and Clay Kidd added 3 points for the Falcons.

East Union was led in scoring by Pannell’s 15, Clay Armstrong 12, Reaton 10, Carter 8, C.J. Armstrong 3 while Dalton Bridges scored 2 points for the Urchins.

Ingomar 61  East Union 46 (G)

The first concern for both coaches during the first half of the girls game was having enough players to finish the game after both teams combined for 25 fouls in the first two quarters of play.

Both teams battle for momentum in the first half before Maggie Cobb knocked down a running three-pointer from well beyond NBA range at the buzzer to give Ingomar a 15-11 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Ingomar held on to their last-second wave of momentum throughout the second quarter to build a 34-24 lead at the break behind five points from Lyndi Kidd on five-of-six shooting from the free throw line.

Both teams started the second half with key players in foul trouble, but Dezjarne Bryant got things rolling for the Lady Urchins in the second half before a strong finish from Ingomar allowed the Lady Falcons to take a 45-33 lead into the final frame.

Sunnie Knighton scored 7 of her team-high 14 in the fourth quarter, but the Lady Falcons knocked down 14-of-20 from the free throw line while only making one field goal in the fourth to pick up the 61-46 victory.  

Kayla Stevens scored a game-high 17, Kidd 12, Claire Wise 10, Cobb 9, Shauna Grisham 7, Brittany Edwards 6, and Shelly Grisham added 2 points for the Lady Flacons.

Knighton scored 14, Tasha Graham 10, Stephanie Dillard 6, Carly Mahon 6, Amy McCollough 6, and Bryant added 4 points for the Lady Urchins.

Ingomar shot 32-of-45 from the line while East Union connected on 11-of-19 on the night.

East Union will host Potts Camp on Friday before closing out the 2008 half of the season with a home match-up region against Walnut next Monday.  Ingomar will close out the 2008 season with a road game against South Pontotoc and will reopen the season January 6th with a home region game against Tremont.