Myrtle destroys Strayhorn, WU downs Walnut
West Union 50 Walnut 30
The Lady Eagles bounced back into the win column with a 20-point victory over Walnut Tuesday night.
Kimberly Jumper and April Rollins both scored 11 for West Union, followed by Robyn Taylor with 10.
West Union’s defense held Walnut to single digits in scoring for the first three quarters, as they only allowed 16 points at the half, while opening a 25-16 lead at the break.
The Lady Eagles pulled away with a 10-3 advantage in the third to improve to 16-5 on the year.
Becky Robinson was the leading scorer for Walnut with 10 points on the night.
Andy Kirk’s squad will next be in action on Thursday as they will have a rematch with Myrtle in the opening round of the Union County Tournament. The Lady Hawks bettered West Union 63-45 back in December. Thursday night’s showdown is set for an 8:30 tipoff.
Mantachie 63 East Union 47
East Union fell to 1-2 in division play as they lost o the road versus Mantachie 63-47.
After trailing 14-8 after the first frame, the Lady Urchins pulled to within four at the break, 28-24. Mantachie came out from the half and outscored East Union 20-14 in the third, and were led on the night by Callie Lindsey, who had 18 points in the winning effort.
Trailing 48-38 after three, East Union could not keep up the offensive effort, as they only managed nine points in the final quarter.
Stephanie Dillard led the Lady Urchins with 13 on the night.
Also scoring in double digits for Mantachie were Porsha Thomas with 12 and Nikki Michael with 10.
East Union falls to 4-16 on the season and will host the Union County Tournament this weekend. The Lady Urchins will open the tourney taking on Ingomar at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.
Myrtle 64 Strayhorn 10
The Lady Hawks showed nothing but dominance as they soared over Strayhorn 64-10 Tuesday night.
Myrtle’s tough defense only allowed two points in the first three quarters, while piling on 42 before the half.
The 54-point deficit is the largest of the season for Myrtle, who improves to 19-3 on the year, 3-0 in division play.
Amber Williamson led the Lady Hawks with 14 points along with six assists. Diana Suarez had 11 points with five assists, and Aspriona Gilbert rounded out the scoring with 10 points and eight rebounds.
Myrtle will face West Union Thursday night in the opening round of the Union County Tournament. Tipoff is set for 8:30 p.m..
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...