Myrtle destroys Strayhorn, WU downs Walnut
West Union 50 Walnut 30
The Lady Eagles bounced back into the win column with a 20-point victory over Walnut Tuesday night.
Kimberly Jumper and April Rollins both scored 11 for West Union, followed by Robyn Taylor with 10.
West Union’s defense held Walnut to single digits in scoring for the first three quarters, as they only allowed 16 points at the half, while opening a 25-16 lead at the break.
The Lady Eagles pulled away with a 10-3 advantage in the third to improve to 16-5 on the year.
Becky Robinson was the leading scorer for Walnut with 10 points on the night.
Andy Kirk’s squad will next be in action on Thursday as they will have a rematch with Myrtle in the opening round of the Union County Tournament. The Lady Hawks bettered West Union 63-45 back in December. Thursday night’s showdown is set for an 8:30 tipoff.
Mantachie 63 East Union 47
East Union fell to 1-2 in division play as they lost o the road versus Mantachie 63-47.
After trailing 14-8 after the first frame, the Lady Urchins pulled to within four at the break, 28-24. Mantachie came out from the half and outscored East Union 20-14 in the third, and were led on the night by Callie Lindsey, who had 18 points in the winning effort.
Trailing 48-38 after three, East Union could not keep up the offensive effort, as they only managed nine points in the final quarter.
Stephanie Dillard led the Lady Urchins with 13 on the night.
Also scoring in double digits for Mantachie were Porsha Thomas with 12 and Nikki Michael with 10.
East Union falls to 4-16 on the season and will host the Union County Tournament this weekend. The Lady Urchins will open the tourney taking on Ingomar at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.
Myrtle 64 Strayhorn 10
The Lady Hawks showed nothing but dominance as they soared over Strayhorn 64-10 Tuesday night.
Myrtle’s tough defense only allowed two points in the first three quarters, while piling on 42 before the half.
The 54-point deficit is the largest of the season for Myrtle, who improves to 19-3 on the year, 3-0 in division play.
Amber Williamson led the Lady Hawks with 14 points along with six assists. Diana Suarez had 11 points with five assists, and Aspriona Gilbert rounded out the scoring with 10 points and eight rebounds.
Myrtle will face West Union Thursday night in the opening round of the Union County Tournament. Tipoff is set for 8:30 p.m..
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...