Hawks, Lady ‘Dawgs win tourney crowns
Myrtle held off a late surge from Ingomar to claim the Union County boys’ championship behind gutsy performances from Russ Yates and David Wilson in place of injured guard Justin Jordan.
Yates and Wilson scored 15 points each in the Hawks 62-59 victory over the Falcons.
“I thought Russ did a tremendous job, David played well, and Beau had a great game for us, but we had a lot of guys come off the bench to play well for us too… that’s what it’s going to take for us the rest of the year,” Coach Jonathan Ashley.
Myrtle took a 49-42 lead into the fourth quarter before a Tyler McCay lay-up tied the game 53-53 with just under three minutes left in the contest.
Robert Montgomery answered with a lay-up of his own to take a 55-53 lead and took a charge on the defensive side of the ball to help spark the Hawks late in the contest.
Beau Cummings nailed a pair of free throws and Wilson got open for a backside lay-up to push give Myrtle a 59-53 lead with just over a minute to play. Steven Foster quickly raced the length of the floor to hit a lay-up before a Myrtle turnover resulted in a Clay Kidd lay-up to make it a 59-57 game with 47 seconds left in the game.
An ill-advised Flacon foul put Cummings back on the line where he connected on one-of-two from the line giving Myrtle a three-point lead.
Ingomar turned the ball over on the ensuing possession, but Myrtle returned the favor with a turnover of their own. The Falcons gave the ball back with another turnover and were forced to foul with eight seconds left on the clock.
“We had a lot of opportunities to win the ballgame, but at times we are not real smart with the ball and what we have to do with it,” Coach Norris Ashley.
Yates put the game on ice when he knocked down a pair of free throws giving Myrtle the two-possession lead.
Foster once again raced the floor for an easy lay-up, but with 2.9 seconds left on the clock the Hawks did not inbounds the ball and celebrated their hard fought 62-59 victory over the Falcons as time expired.
“We finally made enough plays and free throws in the end to win,” Jonathan Ashley. “You have to give the Ingomar kids a lot of credit because they always are going to play with a lot of heart and they did a good job missing (Zach) Carnell.”
Yates and Wilson scored 15 each, Cummings 9, Will Gregory and Jimel Judon added 8 each while Montgomery scored 7 points for the Hawks.
Purvis scored a game-high 17, Foster 13, Kidd 11, McCay 8, Tanner McCollum 5, Austin Owens 4, and Kensey Stout added 1 point for the Flacons.
New Albany 69
Myrtle 48 (G)
The Lady Bulldogs avenged their one-point loss to Myrtle before the tournament by dominating the Lady Hawks in their 69-48 victory to claim the girls’ championship on Saturday.
New Albany took a 35-23 lead by halftime behind a 13-point first half performance from Micah Washington. The Lady Hawks sparked a rally in the third, but the Lady Bulldogs got things going to match Myrtle point-for-point in the quarter to take a 47-35 lead into the fourth quarter.
The Lady Bulldogs pulled away in the final frame when Washington caught fire again to burn the Lady Hawks for nine points in the fourth quarter to help the Lady Bulldogs cruise to the 21-point victory.
Washington led all scorers with 24, Jazmine Spears 22, Tierra Lucas 8, Kebrina Lucas 7, Paris Sanders 4, while Porche White and Nyambi Penson added 2 points each for the Lady Bulldogs.
Amber Williamson led the Lady Hawks with 18, Elizabeth Cobb 11, Aspriona Gilbert 9, Keanna Cox 7, Kesho Montgomery 2, and Diana Suarez scored 1 point.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...