Coker wins 2009 Union County Spelling Bee
After going five rounds against 24 other competitors in the Union County Spelling Bee Monday evening, East Union 7th Grader Carol Coker spelled the winning word “pistachio,” beating out 2nd place winner, West Union 7th grader Ben Neal.
Coker will now go on to compete in the Mid-South Spelling Bee in Memphis, Tenn. in March 2009. Behind Neal was the 3rd place winner, 8th grader Kachious Clay of New Albany Middle School.
The spelling bee was sponsored by the Union County School District, New Albany School District, Junior Auxiliary, and the Potter-Henry-Lowery American Legion Post 72 in New Albany.
The 1st place winner received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $50 savings bond from the American Legion. The 2nd and 3rd place winners both received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $25 savings bond from the American Legion.
All participants received a certificate of participation. The other spelling bee participants were Brooks Rhea, Olivia High, and Heather Gamill, all of Ingomar; Austin Basil and Zack Rowan, both of East Union; Austin Harrington and Jamie Turner of West Union; Neal Scott, Landon Hill, and Emily Forsyth, all of Myrtle; Clayton Ledbetter, Mary Day, Isaiah Powell, and Peyton Neal, all of New Albany Elementary School, and Kristen Olson, Ken Phillips, William Rossell, Sammie Jo Briggs, Amber Gray, Kendall Isbell, Angel Joslin, and John Wise, all of New Albany Middle School.
The pronouncer for the event was Anna Quinn and the judges were Melissa Broom, Pat Kennedy and Christi Hardy.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...