Coker wins 2009 Union County Spelling Bee
After going five rounds against 24 other competitors in the Union County Spelling Bee Monday evening, East Union 7th Grader Carol Coker spelled the winning word “pistachio,” beating out 2nd place winner, West Union 7th grader Ben Neal.
Coker will now go on to compete in the Mid-South Spelling Bee in Memphis, Tenn. in March 2009. Behind Neal was the 3rd place winner, 8th grader Kachious Clay of New Albany Middle School.
The spelling bee was sponsored by the Union County School District, New Albany School District, Junior Auxiliary, and the Potter-Henry-Lowery American Legion Post 72 in New Albany.
The 1st place winner received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $50 savings bond from the American Legion. The 2nd and 3rd place winners both received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $25 savings bond from the American Legion.
All participants received a certificate of participation. The other spelling bee participants were Brooks Rhea, Olivia High, and Heather Gamill, all of Ingomar; Austin Basil and Zack Rowan, both of East Union; Austin Harrington and Jamie Turner of West Union; Neal Scott, Landon Hill, and Emily Forsyth, all of Myrtle; Clayton Ledbetter, Mary Day, Isaiah Powell, and Peyton Neal, all of New Albany Elementary School, and Kristen Olson, Ken Phillips, William Rossell, Sammie Jo Briggs, Amber Gray, Kendall Isbell, Angel Joslin, and John Wise, all of New Albany Middle School.
The pronouncer for the event was Anna Quinn and the judges were Melissa Broom, Pat Kennedy and Christi Hardy.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...