Coker wins 2009 Union County Spelling Bee
After going five rounds against 24 other competitors in the Union County Spelling Bee Monday evening, East Union 7th Grader Carol Coker spelled the winning word “pistachio,” beating out 2nd place winner, West Union 7th grader Ben Neal.
Coker will now go on to compete in the Mid-South Spelling Bee in Memphis, Tenn. in March 2009. Behind Neal was the 3rd place winner, 8th grader Kachious Clay of New Albany Middle School.
The spelling bee was sponsored by the Union County School District, New Albany School District, Junior Auxiliary, and the Potter-Henry-Lowery American Legion Post 72 in New Albany.
The 1st place winner received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $50 savings bond from the American Legion. The 2nd and 3rd place winners both received a certificate of participation, a plaque, and a $25 savings bond from the American Legion.
All participants received a certificate of participation. The other spelling bee participants were Brooks Rhea, Olivia High, and Heather Gamill, all of Ingomar; Austin Basil and Zack Rowan, both of East Union; Austin Harrington and Jamie Turner of West Union; Neal Scott, Landon Hill, and Emily Forsyth, all of Myrtle; Clayton Ledbetter, Mary Day, Isaiah Powell, and Peyton Neal, all of New Albany Elementary School, and Kristen Olson, Ken Phillips, William Rossell, Sammie Jo Briggs, Amber Gray, Kendall Isbell, Angel Joslin, and John Wise, all of New Albany Middle School.
The pronouncer for the event was Anna Quinn and the judges were Melissa Broom, Pat Kennedy and Christi Hardy.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...