County teams winding down regular season
New Albany 68
Pontotoc 34 (g)
NAHS picked up their 20th win of the season in a divisional showdown versus Pontotoc Tuesday night.
Jazmine Spears led the Lady ‘Dawgs with 19 on the night, as a tenacious defensive effort held the Lady Warriors to 14 points in the second half.
Also leading New Albany on the night were Kebrina Lucas with 15 and Tierra Lucas with 14.
For Pontotoc, Rhandi Ball led the Lady Warriors with 15.
New Albany will look to continue their hot streak as they play Itawamba AHS Friday night before playing New Site in the Robertson’s Sportswear Classic at Ingomar on Saturday.
Potts Camp 51 (g)
Kenyotta Jenkins led all scorers on the night with 19 for the Lady Cardinals, but it was Myrtle who came out on top with the 10-point advantage in division play.
Potts Camp was able to tie the game in the second quarter, outscoring the Lady Hawks 12-10 after falling behind by two in the first.
Myrtle held the advantage in the third, then posted 22 in the fourth to pull away for their 22nd win of the year.
Aspriona Gilbert led the Lady Hawks with 17, followed by Beth Goolsby and Diana Suarez with 11.
Also contributing in double figures for Potts Camp was Aston Gandy with 11.
At 22-5, the Lady Hawks will face Houlka Thursday night and Shaw on Friday.
West Union 61
East Union 39 (g)
The Lady Eagles were able to soar back into the win column, taking down East Union Tuesday night.
West Union’s offense produced 20 points in each of the first two quarters to give themselves a comfortable 40-24 lead at the break.
Holding the Lady Urchins to only 15 points in the second half, West Union moved on to win their 17th game of the year.
Claire Wilkerson led West Union with 16, followed by Kimberly Jumper and Carlie Wilkerson each with 10.
For the Lady Urchins, Stephanie Dillard led with 12, while Carlie Mahon added 11.
West Union will travel to Hickory Flat on Friday before taking on 4A Tishomingo County in the Robertson’s Sportswear Classic on Saturday. East Union will travel to Strayhorn Friday night, then play in the first game of Saturday’s classic versus Hickory Flat.
East Union 70 West Union 52 (b)
Wesley Jumper scored 23, but it would not be enough, as the Urchins downed their county rival by 18, 70-52.
East Union held a one point advantage after the first frame and would lead at the half, but their 17-8 run in the third pulled them ahead for the win.
Gareth Pannell led East Union with 22, followed by Matthew Carter with 13 and Ethan Roaten with 9.
Luke Wait and Drew Gray each added 10 for West Union.
West Union will travel to Hickory Flat on Friday to face the Relbels, then will take on Jumpertown in the Prentiss-Union Clash on Saturday in Baldwyn.
East Union is now 10-15 on the year and will travel to Strayhorn on Friday before playing against Thrasher on Saturday.
Potts Camp 91 Myrtle 84 (b)
It was an offensive showcase, and one in which Myrtle came from behind, but their comeback fell short as they lost at Potts Camp 91-84.
After falling behind 20-7 in the first, the Hawks bounced back to cut the deficit to only seven at the half, 40-33.
Led by Jimel Judon’s 28 points,the Hawks posted 51 points in the second half,but it would not be enough as Myrtle falls to 16-8.
Also scoring in double digits for Myrtle were Beau Cummins with 19, David Wilson with 14 and Steven Taylor with 10.
For Potts Camp, Jonathan Falkner led all scorers with 22, followed by Lavonte Richmond with 19,LaDarrius Beard with 13, Jeremy Sigers with 12 and O’Perry Crane with 10.
Myrtle will end the week with three straight games, hosting Houlka and Shaw before facing Booneville in the Prentiss-Union Clash on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...