Lady Hawks soar, East Union ends season
New Site 70
East Union 44 (G)
The Lady Urchins saw their season come to an end Monday night as they fell to New Site 70-44 in the first round of the Division 1-2A tournament.
East Union saw early success in the first, as a three pointer by Sunnie Knighton gave the Lady Urchins their only lead of the game at 6-4.
Ashley Hampton would extend that lead to 8-4 before the Lady Royals would go on a 14-0 run, capped off by numerous turnovers by East Union.
New Site would have the 20-10 advantage after the first quarter, and extended that to a 39-18 halftime lead.
“Mental mistakes cost us the ball game,” East Union head coach Nathan McLellon said Tuesday. “I thought we played harder than New Site, but they played better.”
East Union would outscore the Lady Royals 13-11 in the third quarter, but not before New Site would drop another 20 on the Lady Urchins to take the 70-44 win.
The Lady Urchins end their season at 7-23, but despite the record, still won three of their last five regular season games.
“We improved from last year, ” McLellon explained. “Injuries cost us this season. I wasn’t able to dress out my entire team until December, and that hurt us pretty well.”
Even though they’re losing four seniors, McLellon is excited about his returning players.
“We have our scorers coming back,” McLellon said. “We’re losing a couple good defensive players, so that’s what we’ll have to work on.”
In other action at East Union Monday night, Baldwyn defeated Mantachie 53-38. The Lady Bearcats will take on top seeded H.W. Byers in the 4:00 game on Thursday.
New Site had a sweep on the night, as the Royals defeated Mantachie 73-59 in the second game of the evening. New Site will take on top seeded Baldwyn at 5:30 on Thursday.
Strayhorn 36 (G)
The Lady Hawks easily downed Strayhorn Monday night to move on to the semi-finals of the division 3-1A tournament in Hickory Flat.
Strayhorn could only manage one point in the first frame off of a Hunter Godinez free throw.
Myrtle extended their lead to 42-13 at the half and cruised for the victory.
Aspriona Gilbert led the Lady Hawks with 13, followed by Diana Suarez with 12 and Halle Knowles with 10.
Myrtle will take on Ashland at 4:00 on Thursday in the first semi-final. Ashland defeated Hickory Flat 57-50 in the first game of the night.
Also, the Rebels downed Strayhorn 104-56 to move into the semi-finals, where they’ll take on the Potts Camp-West Union winner.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...