Union Co. school board discuss band program
While it did not make a decision regarding the hire of a new band director or beginning a band program this year or next, the Union County School board did entertain a presentation from a retired band director regarding the subject last week.
Robert Plunkett, a retired band director from Northeast Community College, presented a proposal to the board regarding what would need to be done regarding beginning such a program.
“There’s a procedure you need to go through that’s involved in picking the instruments,” Plunket told the board. “If you hired me, I would choose five instruments for students to start out on in the first year. I would then go to each of the four schools and start meeting with interested students this spring.”
Plunkett told the board the goal for these meetings would be to let the students try out each of the instruments to determine which would best fit them.
“Not every student will be able to play every instrument,” Plunkett said. “There are a lot of factors that go into it.”
Plunkett went on to tell the board that he would want to meet with the parents also and discuss beginning the program in the fall. He went on to say that the best grades to start a program with would be the 5th and 6th grades.
The board made no decision regarding his proposal.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series