Union Co. school board discuss band program
While it did not make a decision regarding the hire of a new band director or beginning a band program this year or next, the Union County School board did entertain a presentation from a retired band director regarding the subject last week.
Robert Plunkett, a retired band director from Northeast Community College, presented a proposal to the board regarding what would need to be done regarding beginning such a program.
“There’s a procedure you need to go through that’s involved in picking the instruments,” Plunket told the board. “If you hired me, I would choose five instruments for students to start out on in the first year. I would then go to each of the four schools and start meeting with interested students this spring.”
Plunkett told the board the goal for these meetings would be to let the students try out each of the instruments to determine which would best fit them.
“Not every student will be able to play every instrument,” Plunkett said. “There are a lot of factors that go into it.”
Plunkett went on to tell the board that he would want to meet with the parents also and discuss beginning the program in the fall. He went on to say that the best grades to start a program with would be the 5th and 6th grades.
The board made no decision regarding his proposal.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...