Hawks upset Pine Grove, will host North Half Tourney
The road to Jackson will have to go through Myrtle, as the Hawks upset Pine Grove Tuesday night, earning them the right to host the North Half Tournament this weekend.
With the score only at 8-5 after the first quarter, Myrtle exploded offensively, scoring 22 in the second to take the 27-20 lead at the half.
Another 20 points by the Hawks in the third quarter helped to put away Pine Grove and advance Myrtle into the next round of the playoffs.
Russ Yates led the Hawks with 22, followed by David Wilson with 11.
Jordan Hopper led Pine Grove with 20, as they end their season at 23-11.
For the Hawks, the road doesn’t get any easier even though they will play on their home court this weekend.
“We’re just going to try to not turn it over, get good shots and be good on defense,” Myrtle head coach Jonathan Ashley said about his team’s preparation throughout the playoffs.
Joining Myrtle in North Half will be Calhoun City, who also played spoiler Tuesday night upsetting Drew 67-65. Ingomar, Shaw, Okolona, Hickory Flat and Coldwater will also be playing.
North Half action will start at 4 p.m. on Thursday and continue until the championship game, which is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...