Hawks upset Pine Grove, will host North Half Tourney
The road to Jackson will have to go through Myrtle, as the Hawks upset Pine Grove Tuesday night, earning them the right to host the North Half Tournament this weekend.
With the score only at 8-5 after the first quarter, Myrtle exploded offensively, scoring 22 in the second to take the 27-20 lead at the half.
Another 20 points by the Hawks in the third quarter helped to put away Pine Grove and advance Myrtle into the next round of the playoffs.
Russ Yates led the Hawks with 22, followed by David Wilson with 11.
Jordan Hopper led Pine Grove with 20, as they end their season at 23-11.
For the Hawks, the road doesn’t get any easier even though they will play on their home court this weekend.
“We’re just going to try to not turn it over, get good shots and be good on defense,” Myrtle head coach Jonathan Ashley said about his team’s preparation throughout the playoffs.
Joining Myrtle in North Half will be Calhoun City, who also played spoiler Tuesday night upsetting Drew 67-65. Ingomar, Shaw, Okolona, Hickory Flat and Coldwater will also be playing.
North Half action will start at 4 p.m. on Thursday and continue until the championship game, which is slated for 7 p.m. on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...