Taylor’s bat sparks Lady Falcons’ hot play
Haley Taylor is getting comfortable with her new role as the designated batter for the Lady Falcon softball team.
The senior struggled with being moved to the designated batter spot during the Tupelo Softball Association Jamboree, but once she adjusted to change the Lady Falcons have reaped the benefits of her hot bat by winning three out of their last four games.
Taylor is currently batting .476 on the season after going 2-for-3 with a walk and scored a run to help lead Ingomar (4-4, 1-0) over the Hickory Flat Lady Rebels 14-0 in five innings on Tuesday.
When teams are able to get her out she is still helping the team with well-placed hits that has allowed runners to easily advance into scoring position — such was the case in Lady Falcon’s 2-1 win over DeSoto Central.
Earlier in the contest Taylor twisted her ankle dodging a foul ball while on third base, but instead of sitting back to watch the team she told Coach Richard Byrd she wanted to help the team by going to the plate in the final inning of the game.
Taylor battled through the pain to looped a two-out single to right to set up the game winning run to help give the Lady Falcons a much needed jolt of confidence heading into division play.
Ingomar used the momentum sparked by Taylor to pick open division play in dominate fashion.
Natalie Frenn put the first runs on the board with a 3-run in-the-park home run in the top of the first before the Lady Falcons tacked on a pair of runs in the second to quickly build a 5-0 lead.
Kayla Stevens, Kate Webb, and Lyndi Kidd all scored in the third and Taylor scored in the fourth to take a 9-0 edge.
Webb, Kidd, Brittany Edwards, Shauna Grisham, and Maggie Cobb scored in the fifth to push their lead to 14-0 allowing Frenn to take care of business in the bottom half of the inning to secure the victory in five innings.
Ingomar blistered the Lady Rebs for 14 hits while Frenn (4-4) kept the bats quite striking out five, giving up two hits, and not allowing any free passes in five innings of scoreless softball.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...