NAMS opens new weight room/locker room
New Albany Middle School recently held an open house to showcase their new band hall and boys locker room and weight room.
Started in 2007, NAMS drew initial plans to expand the locker room and weight room due to the growth of the football program.
“We’ve averaged about 100 kids the past two to three years,” NAMS football coach Buddy Hall said. “We applied for a grant, which said we would receive if we expanded on an existing building.”
With the grant, the old dressing room is now the weight room and the athletes now have a separate dressing room. This is a huge difference, as the athletes were accustomed to dressing and lifting in the same room.
“It’s fantastic space wise,” Hall said. “We’re no longer on top of each other and we’re able to dress in one facility while lifting in another.”
Hall also said that the number of weight lifting stations has increased from 10 to 24, allowing more lifting time for each athlete.
“We’ve gone from having four to five kids at one station to maybe two or three in one group,” Hall said.
Also available in the new weight room is a batting cage, which will help when weather permits the baseball team from practicing outdoors.
“We have a portable bat cage in the middle of the weight room, so we can have an indoor facility, which we’ve never had before,” Hall explained. “This is a big deal and will benefit all sports at the middle school.”
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...