NAMS opens new weight room/locker room
New Albany Middle School recently held an open house to showcase their new band hall and boys locker room and weight room.
Started in 2007, NAMS drew initial plans to expand the locker room and weight room due to the growth of the football program.
“We’ve averaged about 100 kids the past two to three years,” NAMS football coach Buddy Hall said. “We applied for a grant, which said we would receive if we expanded on an existing building.”
With the grant, the old dressing room is now the weight room and the athletes now have a separate dressing room. This is a huge difference, as the athletes were accustomed to dressing and lifting in the same room.
“It’s fantastic space wise,” Hall said. “We’re no longer on top of each other and we’re able to dress in one facility while lifting in another.”
Hall also said that the number of weight lifting stations has increased from 10 to 24, allowing more lifting time for each athlete.
“We’ve gone from having four to five kids at one station to maybe two or three in one group,” Hall said.
Also available in the new weight room is a batting cage, which will help when weather permits the baseball team from practicing outdoors.
“We have a portable bat cage in the middle of the weight room, so we can have an indoor facility, which we’ve never had before,” Hall explained. “This is a big deal and will benefit all sports at the middle school.”
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...