NAMS opens new weight room/locker room
New Albany Middle School recently held an open house to showcase their new band hall and boys locker room and weight room.
Started in 2007, NAMS drew initial plans to expand the locker room and weight room due to the growth of the football program.
“We’ve averaged about 100 kids the past two to three years,” NAMS football coach Buddy Hall said. “We applied for a grant, which said we would receive if we expanded on an existing building.”
With the grant, the old dressing room is now the weight room and the athletes now have a separate dressing room. This is a huge difference, as the athletes were accustomed to dressing and lifting in the same room.
“It’s fantastic space wise,” Hall said. “We’re no longer on top of each other and we’re able to dress in one facility while lifting in another.”
Hall also said that the number of weight lifting stations has increased from 10 to 24, allowing more lifting time for each athlete.
“We’ve gone from having four to five kids at one station to maybe two or three in one group,” Hall said.
Also available in the new weight room is a batting cage, which will help when weather permits the baseball team from practicing outdoors.
“We have a portable bat cage in the middle of the weight room, so we can have an indoor facility, which we’ve never had before,” Hall explained. “This is a big deal and will benefit all sports at the middle school.”
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...