Eagles tomahawk Seminoles
The Eagles did not give in after falling in game one of their series versus Smithville, as West Union took the series to advance to the North Half semifinals this week.
West Union fell 15-8 Thursday night to the Seminoles, despite an attempt to comeback.
Down 13-3, the Eagles posted four runs in the third inning, but that was the last time they would score in the game, as Devin Brock took the loss on the mound.
“I reminded them that this is a three game series,” Eagles head coach Ashley Russell said of his talk to his team after the game one loss. “Games are not won or lost in the first game, and I also reminded them that we started off this season 1-8, and we ended well, so we just needed to focus.”
On the road Friday, the Eagles responded to their coach’s words by shutting out the ‘Noles 7-0 to tie the series and force a game three at West Union on Saturday.
The Eagles jumped to a 3-0 lead after three innings in the third game, but Smithville posted two runs to cut the deficit to one. West Union would add on an insurance run in the bottom portion of the inning, and neither team would score again in the game.
Taylor English picked up the win, allowing two runs off three hits, while belting a home run to help lead West Union to the North Half semifinals this weekend.
Now 14-11, the Eagles will face off against the 16-8 Calhoun City Wildcats, who defeated Wheeler last weekend to advance.
“I don’t know much about them,” Ashley said of the Eagles next opponent. “I know that they’re well coached and they’ve made it far in the playoffs before, so that shows that they’re experienced. I just hope that we continue to play well, and I think it will be a great series.”
Game one of the series is set for 6 p.m. on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...