Eagles tomahawk Seminoles
The Eagles did not give in after falling in game one of their series versus Smithville, as West Union took the series to advance to the North Half semifinals this week.
West Union fell 15-8 Thursday night to the Seminoles, despite an attempt to comeback.
Down 13-3, the Eagles posted four runs in the third inning, but that was the last time they would score in the game, as Devin Brock took the loss on the mound.
“I reminded them that this is a three game series,” Eagles head coach Ashley Russell said of his talk to his team after the game one loss. “Games are not won or lost in the first game, and I also reminded them that we started off this season 1-8, and we ended well, so we just needed to focus.”
On the road Friday, the Eagles responded to their coach’s words by shutting out the ‘Noles 7-0 to tie the series and force a game three at West Union on Saturday.
The Eagles jumped to a 3-0 lead after three innings in the third game, but Smithville posted two runs to cut the deficit to one. West Union would add on an insurance run in the bottom portion of the inning, and neither team would score again in the game.
Taylor English picked up the win, allowing two runs off three hits, while belting a home run to help lead West Union to the North Half semifinals this weekend.
Now 14-11, the Eagles will face off against the 16-8 Calhoun City Wildcats, who defeated Wheeler last weekend to advance.
“I don’t know much about them,” Ashley said of the Eagles next opponent. “I know that they’re well coached and they’ve made it far in the playoffs before, so that shows that they’re experienced. I just hope that we continue to play well, and I think it will be a great series.”
Game one of the series is set for 6 p.m. on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...